Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Info help

I had a hair under 75 horses with my bike, before pipe change. She went into the shop with sert, stage 1 AC, stock headers and Rush 2" baffles. I had her tuned and have the print-out on this. Over the winter, I had Sampson True Duals installed, 33" baffled pipes. They did a dyno run, I had drop'd down to 57 horses, from 75? They dyno tuned her sat. and was able to get up to 60. Is this what I should have expected, a 15 horse drop? I called Sampson and the nice lady told me I should not have this loss. The mech that did the job said this is normal, these pipes always lose tons of power? WTF?

I did not expect any gain, in fact, I expected some loss from this swap, but I expected maybe 5 lost. What has been ya'lls experience?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The child ain't right. What did your dyno guy have to say?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer

The dyno guy was the same guy that worked on my bike. He said this was what he got last time he did these pipes, they don't do much of them. I've had 2 other stealerships tell me I should have better numbers. 60 hp and 88 torque is the best he (mechanic) can do. What sux is I have to pay for a dyno tune that cost me this loss in power/torque.... sux...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer

Said ta heck with it, brought it home today. Went for a ride, temp 58 degrees out, but was the first ride for me of the season, so I was amp'd! I'll get the signature picture changed out as soon as I can find that damn camera, I love the way she looks with the pipes. Also did the HD mini apes, crash bar and new derby (last one had problems... don't ask... LOL) and iso-grips.

Seat of the pants dyno.... I could tell I had lost some power from where she was, but I'm actually surprised, it did not feel like I had lost a whole lot. I'm going to live with her this way until the next upgrade, probably next winter. I don't want a speed demon, but would like the 75 back or possibly 80 horsies, so.... cam? Head-work? Gives me something to think about for sure. Really do love the looks and sound, will recommend these for sure!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 AM
SeMiGoD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cams alone should do the trick if youre not a speed demon. However, winter project maybe...bore the stock cylinders, add 10:1 domed pistons and cam...ahem...