Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn gas led help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
fattyflathead
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kuryakyn gas led help

I just fitted a flush led kuryakyn gas cap and doesn't seem to calibrate/ read properly.
I'm driving an 04 FLSTFI and I put 155 miles up on the trip meter until the gas light came on the oem gauge, I fully charged the battery and then fitted the kuryakyn gauge, all the wires are matching on the amp connector and the grey wire to the yellow on the speedo connector,

When I turn on the ignition the 4th and 5th led light up on the gas gauge, I have tried to cal it a few times with flashlight but all I get is 4th and 5th led on , they seem to flash from brighter every few seconds and then dull and then bright again
The batt has 2 reds and 2 Amber LEDs on indicating 10 volts.

According to the manual the LEDs are supposed to cycle until the far left red LED flashes indicating empty, that hasn't happened.

Any ideas anyone ?( besides putting the oem one back in)

Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 PM
fattyflathead
Novice

Ok so i tried to cal it a few more times , and it does cycle to the left and flash red for 1 second and when I switched it off and back on it was at the 4th and 5th green led again, so could it be that it has green led as it is still reading some gas in there ??or should it stay on the red flashing ??

Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fattyflathead
I just fitted a flush led kuryakyn gas cap and doesn't seem to calibrate/ read properly.
I'm driving an 04 FLSTFI and I put 155 miles up on the trip meter until the gas light came on the oem gauge, I fully charged the battery and then fitted the kuryakyn gauge, all the wires are matching on the amp connector and the grey wire to the yellow on the speedo connector,

When I turn on the ignition the 4th and 5th led light up on the gas gauge, I have tried to cal it a few times with flashlight but all I get is 4th and 5th led on , they seem to flash from brighter every few seconds and then dull and then bright again
The batt has 2 reds and 2 Amber LEDs on indicating 10 volts.

According to the manual the LEDs are supposed to cycle until the far left red LED flashes indicating empty, that hasn't happened.

Any ideas anyone ?( besides putting the oem one back in)
If you have Kuryakyn part# 8375 it's the same one I have. I had a problem calibrating mine the first time. In step 3 of the directions, you're supposed to cover the light sensor for 3 seconds, then remove your finger. Then, a green LED will light up in the middle of the gauge to indicate calibration mode has been entered. This is a critical step and one I had a problem with at first. Make sure that green LED comes on and experiment with the 3 second timing. I always used a flashlight instead of sunlight because that worked better. Aside from that, I can only recommend re-reading the directions to double-check the wiring,which I'm sure you've done 10X anyway.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fattyflathead
Ok so i tried to cal it a few more times , and it does cycle to the left and flash red for 1 second and when I switched it off and back on it was at the 4th and 5th green led again, so could it be that it has green led as it is still reading some gas in there ??or should it stay on the red flashing ??
You always calibrate it with a near-empty tank. So after calibrating it successfully, the gauge should read empty, meaning the last red LED to the left WILL BE FLASHING, indicating an empty tank.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 PM
fattyflathead
Novice

Thanks for the reply Roadkingharry , yes it's # 8375 same as yours . I used a flashlight and a towel to cover the sensor , I'll give it another go tomorrow and experiment with the 3 seconds, I did read on another site where some folks said calibration was a PITA.