Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service manual is wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:10 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by suiii15
there are external torx as well, you need sockets that have the torx in them. I have a set to work on Ford's. They love thoes things.
These are not torx heads, internal or external. These are 12 point bolts.

To the OP, my 06 manual states this caption with the picture and states they are 12 pt/10 mm etc and the pad pins 1/4". Guess the FB SM could be different.

1. Short mounting bolt (12 pt/10 mm)
2. Long mounting bolt (12 pt/10 mm)
3. Pad pins (12 pt/0.25 in)

Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear bolt on my rear caliper is a T-40. You can pick up set of multi size torx sockets at any decently supplied auto parts store.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Yup, you are right, they are Torx. Ran into this myself a couple months ago. They changed the hardware and it didn't make it in the service manual. There are a couple more things like that in the book.

I have added a pic of my 2009 caliper with the 2 T40 TORX as it seems there is a lot of confusion around ... To get the pad pin of I used a 1/4 inch 12point wrench.

Attached Thumbnails Service manual is wrong?-img_0902.jpg  

Last edited by Rakthi; 04-02-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Geeze... there are internal torx and external torx as others have said. On my '06 they were external. In the case of the pad retaining pins I pounded a 12 pt. 1/4" 1/4 drive socket on to them to get them off, and bought a set of chrome bolts that were hex head. I threw away the torx pins and torx head bolts. They are too subject to failure if your brakes get some age on them.

If you replace all of yours with a set from Gardner or Colony the ones that hold the two halves of the caliper together should be done one at a time.

C#

Last edited by cwsharp; 04-03-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder why HD insists in perpetuating the utilization of the freakin' pathetic Torx bolts in their designs.. try to remove the ones that attach the brake disk when they are rusted.. even worse.. the rear shocks on sporties are attached with big Torx Bolts.. you'll need a high precision robotic arm, titanium Torx sockets.. wait for the planets to align and then sacrifice a goat to the Un-Stripped Bolt God... even then at least one will strip..

12 point spline bolts is a genius design..

ohh... BTW.. I hate Torx bolts! :-)

Old 04-03-2012, 04:48 PM
FatBoyTig
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
I wonder why HD insists in perpetuating the utilization of the freakin' pathetic Torx bolts in their designs.. try to remove the ones that attach the brake disk when they are rusted.. even worse.. the rear shocks on sporties are attached with big Torx Bolts.. you'll need a high precision robotic arm, titanium Torx sockets.. wait for the planets to align and then sacrifice a goat to the Un-Stripped Bolt God... even then at least one will strip..

12 point spline bolts is a genius design..

ohh... BTW.. I hate Torx bolts! :-)
Agreed. And the foot peg on the Fatboy is held on by a long shanked T-45, requiring a special trip to Harbor Freight. Then used this to torque the rear fendor to frame bolts and the bit snapped off. Another trip to HF but ultimately got the job done.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Since you all brought it up... WTF is with all the different fasteners?!? Torx, allens, hex sockets, 12pt sockets, phillips, standard, inverted, metric, SAE... SHEESH! Would sure be nice if they narrowed down the selection just a little!

</rant>

Roger

Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBoyTig
Agreed. And the foot peg on the Fatboy is held on by a long shanked T-45, requiring a special trip to Harbor Freight. Then used this to torque the rear fendor to frame bolts and the bit snapped off. Another trip to HF but ultimately got the job done.
Perhaps a trip could have been saved if you bought a GOOD Quality set the first time. I can't stand HF. Overly cheap crap for single use. I have better use for my money.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,804 Likes on 9,867 Posts

What drives me nuts about it is the holes in torx heads aint near deep enuff. Feel like i need to insure my chrome plate every time I think about using the darn things. Also, the H-D engineers musta been in bed with Ford considering the mishmash of metric, SAE, and torx crap spread around the bike. Had my softail 1 1/2 yr now and I think Ive cleaned out the local Sears store. Don't know how Sears is goin broke with my support.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 PM
dcgray2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fcsallan
Perhaps a trip could have been saved if you bought a GOOD Quality set the first time. I can't stand HF. Overly cheap crap for single use. I have better use for my money.
Before you go spouting off -- it's that you need a LONG shank torx bit -- quality has nothing to do with it. My bike has the same issue.

Nothing wrong with HF for us shade trees.

I would love to have all MAC tools, but am not going to spend that kind of money for something I use 4 times a year.

Quick Reply: Service manual is wrong?