Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deuce or sporster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005 | 01:03 PM
joetoyc
|
Novice
Default deuce or sporster?

hello. im new to the forum and new to harleys and im trying to get some much needed advice. i will be getting my first motorcycle in the next few months. i defenatly getting a harley. wont ride anything else. i grew up riding dirt bikes. but have never been on a street bike. what bike do u guys think would be better for me to start riding on. im 5' 11' tall and weight 195. right now im torn between a sporster 1200C and a softtail deuce. i really want a deuce. but im concerned about the size and power. would it be to much bike for me. iv been told that i would be to big for the sporster. any one agree? if so what other models should i be looking at. also, if i got a deuce, i would have to get a older model. is ther any year i should look at or stay away from. your advice is greatly apreciated.

Old 07-28-2005 | 01:09 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: deuce or sporster?

You will do fine on the Deuce. If you haven't taken the MSF, I would strongly suggest it. There is quite a bit of difference in riding dirt bikes and street bikes. Just take your time, practice low speed manuvers and enjoy the ride. Welcome to the site.

Old 07-28-2005 | 01:13 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Joe
With your height, the sporty would be a bit small for you, now if you are interested in a deuce, take a look below, the deuce would give you a better choice because of size, also do not discount the dyna family for your ride. They are a good handeling /riding bike too.

Old 07-28-2005 | 01:44 PM
Utah05NT
Novice

In my opinion, the Deuce would not be "too big". The weight difference is only about 100 pounds. Also, because you sit "into" the frame of a Softail as opposed to "on top of" on a Sportster, it has a lower centy of gravity. I can honestly say my Night Train is quite a bit "easier" to handle than my Sportster. My first Harley was an 883 Custom, and within a couple months I wanted something bigger. After 7 months, I purchased a Night Train. My wife is now riding the 883, and she is ready to "move up". No disrespect to those that have and love their Sportys, but if you think you will be going to a TC eventually anyway, might as well just start there...

Old 07-28-2005 | 02:41 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

it's all preference, and what exactly you'll be doing on the bike. You gonna take longer rides or just run to the store? of course price always plays into it too, but for me the deuce and other soft tails is the way to go. havin a sporty is more affordable, but if all your gonna do is drool at the bigger bikes I say just go big.

as far as riding the bikes harleys are easy to ride. I don't think it matters what you get. my NT is easier to ride than my old honda magna.

Old 07-28-2005 | 02:49 PM
TylerD
Intermediate

You can't go wrong with the Deuce. It was my first bike and I love it. I was a little intimidated to start with that big of bike, but no regrets now. I just started out slow and worked into it. Putz around town for the 500 mile break in then get out on the two lane country roads or anywhere there won't be alot of traffic to get a better feel for the bike. Thats what I did anyway. I can't compare to any other bikes but I'm very happy with my Deuce. Only had her for 14 months and got over 18k for miles.

Tyler

Old 07-28-2005 | 04:50 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Howdy Joe, welcome to the forum. As to which bike to pick, I think that you have been given some good advice, so I won't repeat what has already been said. Have you had a chance to go to the HD place and test drive a Duece? Test driving will give you a good idea about how a bike feels and handles. I hadn't been on a bike for 25 years and I fell in love with the Springer. It is larger than my last bike, but I just took it easy and gradually everything started to fall into place. I'm also 5'11" and I can't speak for all the other models that Harley makes, but I'm sure that they have a bike just for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Thanks

Old 07-28-2005 | 07:10 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

I'll repeat it! Duece, Duece, did I say Duece?

I love Sporty's, but IMHO if you are already leaning towards a Duece, you will only be dissapointed in a year that you didn't buy it. The Duece is low, easy to ride and comfortable.

Plus your statement wondering if you could handle the power of a Duece? Have you ridden a Sporty? They will kick most Big Twins ***. Why do you think Eric Buell picked a Sporty engine to race, because it was slow?

Old 07-28-2005 | 07:28 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

I agree with Joe on both accounts. My old Sporty ran a ton faster than my Softail.

Old 07-29-2005 | 12:27 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

its like do i want a corvette....or a chevette!

Quick Reply: deuce or sporster?