Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions after first Harley experience.. confused!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:07 PM
keikanca
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmmmmmm.....

Originally Posted by Rob929
Hello, Im a newb to the forum, and reaching out for some help and expertise. I've been riding motorcycles for 12 years now. Mostly metric bikes- sportbikes and a couple cruisers. Like many people, I've always said someday I'll have a Harley.

Well I've put an effort in to make someday happen now. I took a heritage softail out for a test ride today through a friend at the dealership. I hate to say, but the experience was disappointing.

I'll also start by saying I've dreamed of getting a bike I can put some distance trips on comfortably. But I'm also young and want that cool factor around town. The heritage seemed like a good option to be able to strip saddle bags and windshield to get that fat boy look. Well first of all, the buffeting was the worst I've experienced in all my years riding. I thought my eyeballs were going to pop out of my head! Second, the bike was an absolute dog.. Now, it was a completely stock bike, and I'm not looking to a Harley for speed.. but this was bad. My full size pickup truck probably accelerates faster. Also, it only took about 30 minutes to feel pain in my back, hips etc.. I was more comfortable on my sport bikes!

Otherwise, the overall ride comfort, handling and fit and finish of the bike left a lot to be desired. I've spent time considering the purchase of a Harley, and paying a premium price for the name and the experience, but after my first ride, I'm second guessing all of it.

So, help me out.. Was this just the wrong model for me? Any other thoughts or advice? I'm not ready to give up on my Harley dream just yet.. but compared to my previous bikes, I felt like I was riding a lawn mower today.

Thanks in advance.
Dude, appreciate your desire to want a HD and a certain level of performance, but, you don't really seem to understand just what a HD is. A lawnmower? That was funny! No matter how you change the bike, it's always going to ride like a HD, and that's the point. Learn to appreciate the way it cruises, the way it rumbles, and for some of us, the way it helps slow down life and put it in a better, more relaxed perspective - not everything is about how fast you get there, but the enjoyment you have making the journey. It's not so much how you change the HD, it's more how the HD changes you. If you didn't feel that on the bike, then you're wasting your money. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucero1
Man, if Harley depended on this forum to entice new buyers, they would be out of business quickly.

Like some others have said - go try a few more bikes. A demo day is a great chance to ride a few different styles and get a better feel - or go back to the same guy that you talked to when you tested the softail and tell him what your thoughts were. They WANT to sell you a bike, so they should have no problem letting you test a few more out!

Good luck and take everything posted here with a grain of salt and a good sense of humor...
Good advice here. Especially on how to take a lot of the other "advice" given so far. Some people are so biased about Harley that if you dare question anything about it then they believe you have no business near a Harley. The truth is, you would be hard pressed to find a single Harley owner that hasn't switched out a seat, a handlebar, and exhaust, and air cleaner, a set of cams, etc, etc, etc... So to read Harley owners telling you that if "If it has to be explained to you then you will never get it" is kind of ridiculous. I would think that would be more accurate if everyone was riding around on a stock Harley Davidson.

Harley's are still built in very generic way when it comes to fitting the rider. Think about new cars. A car company can only offer so many trim levels of a certain model because it is what is most financially feasible. If they tried to make a version of every model to fit every different type of person they would kill themselves financially. Similarly, Harley has to settle on one design for each bike and then it's up to a potential buyer to figure out what they can do beyond what the manufacturer has to make the bike fit them better.

The two common ways to get around this is to either be willing to spend extra on different seats, bars and the like to get to where you want. Or the other way is to try other models of Harley, including outside the Softail line to see if something else works better for you from the start. In my opinion, the bike should feel pretty good to you from the get go and only minor modification should be expected. If you decide on a bike for sheer aesthetics and you think that you are willing to put in all the time, money and effort to make it more suitable for you then you may end up hating it in the end just the same when you think about how much you have spent and how often your bike has sat in the garage awaiting modifications as apposed to being ridden.

Take your time and don't rush your decision. You've waited this long to make your dream a reality so you can wait a little longer.

And honestly, if you find that a Harley is just not for you then that may just be the answer you are looking for. And honestly there is nothing wrong with that. Ultimately it's what makes you feel good riding. I ride a Harley and love it but I won't tell you that it's what you HAVE to have or that you are a loser for riding something else. It's your life and your ride, bro!

Good luck on your search!

Last edited by Skeezmachine; 03-29-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Rob929
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thank you for all the reponses.. An excellent piece of advice from Lucero1 and key to most internet discussions:

"Good luck and take everything posted here with a grain of salt and a good sense of humor..."

There are a couple things I'll clarify.. I don't believe that this is about me "not getting it" or that I'm not looking at a Harley for the right reasons. I grew up in a military family, and there were always Harley's around. Even at a young age I admired and appreciated them. I notice every Harley going down the road, and stop to admire one when parked nearby. A Harley is a Harley simple as that. And there's something there you will never get with a metric; the name, the riding experience, and the rich history behind it all. If I didnt get it, I don't think I'd be here.

Also, I did mention the sluggish performance of the stock heritage (and yes, it was a used bike for those that asked) But I wasn't pointing that out to say I want a fast bike. I have had that, and still do in other bikes. I'm also not expecting it to ride like a refined piece of machinery. I get and appreciate the simplicity. Its the same reason I build and drive older cars. Id take a 65 mustang fastback over a new one every day of the week because it has character and legacy, its fun as hell to drive, and it gives you a special experience when you drive it.. Thats what I want in a bike.

Plain and simple I want to cruise. I want to be able to ride out to vegas, or across the state in comfort. My thoughts on removing the bags and sheild to have a different look for local riding were misinterpreted by some to sounds like I want to look like the coolest guy in town and I didnt mean it that way. Just thought being able to ride more of a dressed bike for touring, then being able to change it back to stripped down cruiser would seem to be a bonus.

The heritage was my first ride on a shielded bike. So, my expectation was the opposite of what I got with all the wind buffeting. Thats clearly one of my confusions. I expected a more windlass ride- something that would make cruising with the half helmet better, not worse. And a bonus for keeping bugs outta my face.

I'm definitely going to try some other models that have been suggested. And I appreciate the guys who are trying to help me out, and not taking offense to my critique of the bike I rode. For those that insist I dont get it, or It's just a cool thing I dont understand, I appreciate your opinion, but it wont discourage me away from a Harley if I can find the right one for me.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Overlooked

Awesome advice here - especially the bit about the bike coming out of the factory all EPA bottled up - extremely true - so you have to pay the Harley tax to uncork it.

I started out wanting a Heritage as well - they just look so sweet all chromed up but I wanted to ride 2 up and go on some longer rides as well.

Nate at the Kitchener HD dealership said he could sell me the heritage sitting on the floor and I would be back in two weeks pissed off or he could sell me a Road King Classic which he didn't even have, but it was the right bike for me. I love those cruiser classic lines and looks - I won't ever own a faring bike - but that's just me.

The RKC is like a Heritage in many ways but with a bigger everything, and now that I've done up the air filter, EFI, slip-ons, new mustang 4 piece super touring seat and 16 chubby apes it's perfect! The only thing smoother on the highway than my shield is a frame attached faring (imo) and I've tried all the bikes at the test our metal event.

With the RKC you get cruiser looks and touring power. You can dresser it up or strip it down and it's powerful and smooth, like a caddy. Give it a look too - it's worth it.

Oh yeah - don't back away from getting a Harley - it's a fantastic experience and feeling. Nothing can touch it. Glad you're here.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 PM
dizzy1450
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob there's nothing wrong with you. Every bike fits and feels differently. I too had my doubts when I purchased my first Harley in 2006. I was coming from a Ducati superbike with Brembo brakes and Ohlins suspension. At first I thought, this is the worst quality motorcycle I've ever ridden. Then after a few miles it started to click. It's not about speed, handling and exceptional breaking. It's about cruising. It's about the soul and character a Harley offers that no other bike offers. If you get that, then it's just a matter of finding the right Harley.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:47 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lotsa good advice spoken here!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a brand new heritage off the showroom floor last August. Got 5500km on it now. Now i know, it's not for me. Here i am looking at the street glide and the electra glide.
Test drove both (yesterday) and found the SG to be....maybe not the more comfortable of the 2, especially on longer rides, but certainly rode smoother and had more pickup then my heritage with stage1.

Go ride a street glide, try it and other harleys. There is one just for you, especially after you'r done customizing it. But that SG is a really nice bike/ride

Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
keikanca
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Rob929
Wow, thank you for all the reponses.. An excellent piece of advice from Lucero1 and key to most internet discussions:

"Good luck and take everything posted here with a grain of salt and a good sense of humor..."

There are a couple things I'll clarify.. I don't believe that this is about me "not getting it" or that I'm not looking at a Harley for the right reasons. I grew up in a military family, and there were always Harley's around. Even at a young age I admired and appreciated them. I notice every Harley going down the road, and stop to admire one when parked nearby. A Harley is a Harley simple as that. And there's something there you will never get with a metric; the name, the riding experience, and the rich history behind it all. If I didnt get it, I don't think I'd be here.

Also, I did mention the sluggish performance of the stock heritage (and yes, it was a used bike for those that asked) But I wasn't pointing that out to say I want a fast bike. I have had that, and still do in other bikes. I'm also not expecting it to ride like a refined piece of machinery. I get and appreciate the simplicity. Its the same reason I build and drive older cars. Id take a 65 mustang fastback over a new one every day of the week because it has character and legacy, its fun as hell to drive, and it gives you a special experience when you drive it.. Thats what I want in a bike.

Plain and simple I want to cruise. I want to be able to ride out to vegas, or across the state in comfort. My thoughts on removing the bags and sheild to have a different look for local riding were misinterpreted by some to sounds like I want to look like the coolest guy in town and I didnt mean it that way. Just thought being able to ride more of a dressed bike for touring, then being able to change it back to stripped down cruiser would seem to be a bonus.

The heritage was my first ride on a shielded bike. So, my expectation was the opposite of what I got with all the wind buffeting. Thats clearly one of my confusions. I expected a more windlass ride- something that would make cruising with the half helmet better, not worse. And a bonus for keeping bugs outta my face.

I'm definitely going to try some other models that have been suggested. And I appreciate the guys who are trying to help me out, and not taking offense to my critique of the bike I rode. For those that insist I dont get it, or It's just a cool thing I dont understand, I appreciate your opinion, but it wont discourage me away from a Harley if I can find the right one for me.
Ok, let me retract a bit, because I definitey agree there are some people on these forums who truly believe there is nothing else comparable to a HD - myself included, and those sentiments aren't necessarily felt by everyone. It's awesome you are considering an HD, and it seems you've been eyeing one for a long time. What's most important is you find something you enjoy and are comfortable on, or else the riding experience will suck. I think the point some of us are trying to make (that would be me as well) is when people blast HD's as comparisons to other bikes's, especially when it comes to speed or performance issues, and I think that's where the "get it" comes from. HD riders are very unique, in that the brand draws a certain band of passionate, sometimes intense and protective people, who are drawn not just by the heritage and tradition, but also the lifetsyle it has historically represented. To be honest, I don't know anyone who actually bought an HD for performance, at least the people I ride with, and like my ragged, old Jeep Wrangler, I knew when I bought it I wasn't taking it to the drag strip on Friday nights or breaking speed records in the twisties at Pigeon Forge.

I know you already know this, but we are a passionate group, and there is nothing better than seeing someone fulfill the dream of having an HD, and then riding the heck out of it. So if you do "get it", then put away your perceptions of other bikes, speed, handling and other comparisons you might be tempted to make. Forget the Ninja, or the Hyabusa, or even a BMW or Victory. Go back to a deale for some test rides (Dyna Fat Bob, Softtail Fat Boy, Touring Road King are a good mix) and before taking off, take a moment to ask what is it exactly that attracted you to Harley's in the first place. Then take that ride, and I think you'll find the bike you're looking for.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Clint Bateman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale M Ludwig
ROB929 you are correct about everything, it does accelerate slowly and if you take off all that stuff, the wind will knock you right off the road...possibly. I've rode other bikes for years and my 2011 Heritage Softail is not even in the same ballpark which by the way, I bought for my 70th birthday. I love the retro look. Leave the windshield on and everything else then add a rider backrest and its very comfortable. Harley doesn't make this model fast as they support the American dream, make more money. For a couple thousand more they will provide you with a big bore kit and it is considerably faster. So now the money you have in this bike will buy a new Honda Goldwing which has everything and lots of power. Back to the subject... if your younger, Harley does make faster bikes like a V-rod for example. My wife and I ride no more than a couple hundred miles a day, we don't have a lot of passing power with the 2 of us but their are no sore butts at the end of the day. No complaints as I knew what the bike could and could not do before I bought it.

very well said

Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob there are alot of opinions here and I have my two cents to add to it and I have owned the Metric rice rockets in the past and loved them. You have to look at a Harley way differently than a Metric most metrics come at a certain level and alot of people buy them and ride them without ever making any changes. And they can be nice for those who like that. The beauty of a harley is IN MY OPIONION that it was built to be customized. The plethera of parts out there that make your Harley yours is what becomes the best part. You can make it really fast, you can make it really comfortable, you cna give it tons of attitude and they almost never come out the same when finished. I love the attitude of my nighttrain and also the fact that if I for some reason wanted to I could add a windshield and big padded seat and saddlebags and so on so ride alot of bikes and find the one you like.

Quick Reply: Impressions after first Harley experience.. confused!