Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter pawl question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
cobrahd1999
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter pawl question

This is a 2 part question sorry guys.Can anyone tell me possibly with a pic, where the shifter pawl is located at.2nd question is it something that I would be able to do if it needs to be replaced Baker has a replacement for $85. Is in insde the tranny or outside any pics I seen really don't show.
thanks guys.

Last edited by cobrahd1999; 03-28-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default shifter pawl

It's the last thing your shift linkage attaches to. Your shift arm is spined and the shaft that goes inside the case of the tranny is the external part of the pawl. The only time I had to fix one turned out to be a weekend job because everything had to come apart to change it(inner and outer primary; clutch/drive sprocket; exhaust so you can get the tranny cover off so you can pull the gear set then you can replace it. While you have the top cover off it's a good time to center the shift arm while it is still visible. All and all it's a real time consumer but in the end you'll sure know your bike better. A good pic and explanation is in the service manual but it's like in the back of the tranny section. Takes some special tools also.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 PM
cobrahd1999
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowyone
It's the last thing your shift linkage attaches to. Your shift arm is spined and the shaft that goes inside the case of the tranny is the external part of the pawl. The only time I had to fix one turned out to be a weekend job because everything had to come apart to change it(inner and outer primary; clutch/drive sprocket; exhaust so you can get the tranny cover off so you can pull the gear set then you can replace it. While you have the top cover off it's a good time to center the shift arm while it is still visible. All and all it's a real time consumer but in the end you'll sure know your bike better. A good pic and explanation is in the service manual but it's like in the back of the tranny section. Takes some special tools also.
Thanks for the info. I talked to Baker today the problem I am having is neutral they say the clutch is still dragging a little redo and losen a 1/4 turn and see what happens sometime might need a bit more they said which is earier then the pawl, which they said is not my problem since all other gears are fine.
again thanks for your reply.