Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Big Radius regrets

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Dunk17
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Big Radius regrets

OK, I just got my first Harley - 2012 Fatboy Lo in black denim. I'm an older guy, but really like the look of the VH Big Radius pipes, and really don't like the look of the stock pipes. Orderd the Big Radius, but they didn't come in before I picked up the bike a week ago. Put a couple hundred miles on it, and love it - except for trying to get it into neutral.

Read quite a few threads here, and listened to some Big Radius pipes at the dealer. They are loud. Have any of you regretted gettting the pipes because they are too loud, and if so have you done any of the baffle changes discussed here, and ended up with something that is more "acceptable"?

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunk17
OK, I just got my first Harley - 2012 Fatboy Lo in black denim. I'm an older guy, but really like the look of the VH Big Radius pipes, and really don't like the look of the stock pipes. Orderd the Big Radius, but they didn't come in before I picked up the bike a week ago. Put a couple hundred miles on it, and love it - except for trying to get it into neutral.

Read quite a few threads here, and listened to some Big Radius pipes at the dealer. They are loud. Have any of you regretted gettting the pipes because they are too loud, and if so have you done any of the baffle changes discussed here, and ended up with something that is more "acceptable"?

Thanks.
I have V&H Short Staggered...........no baffles. Honestly unless you have neighbor issues with the noise I wouldn't worry. I can tell you that cars notice a bike with loud pipes. My wife witnessed it herself when she was following me back from the dealer one day. She didn't like the pipes cause they were loud but after watching the drivers look around for the bike (they hear before they see) she said to leave them on.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
ponybob
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the pipes, but too loud for me. Ride daily and the echo off of cars in traffic only makes it worse. Added quieter baffles and it's loud enough without being annoying. You can go with either Big City Thunder or SmartPartz and still get a good sound.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,437 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Two into two? Other than the little dust cloud they create I like them. That dust cloud can be looked at one or two ways: you will wash the scoot more and you will service the K&N filter a little more...or, you will biatch about them all the time
lmfao

Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

I had the BRs and I thought the volume was perfect!
In fact, after I had some performance mods done, the volume became perfect-er!
Hahaha!!
You'll love them. Some go with different baffles for a lower tone.
But try them out for a little while before you change those out.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Lucero1
Road Master

I just installed a set last night, with the BCT baffles.

Yes, they are loud...and yes, I like them.

When I bought the bike, it has Screaming Eagle slip ons installed, and was way too quiet for me.

The Big Radius pipes with the baffles gives me that nice Harley sound that I was looking for!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Silver Ghost
Cruiser

No regrets, love the pipes, and I drive the bike daily. I'm sure there are options, if you find them to loud.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:34 PM
rrambo
Tourer

I have the BR's with BCT baffles.. it's loud, but it's deep.. much more so now with the cams I just installed..

My only regrets about the BR's is the finish.. if you look at them funny they will scratch.. I will seriously consider pulling off the heat shields and having them PC'd.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a set on my Dyna with the BCT baffles and I never minded the loudness but I never really liked the sound. They sound more like a set of open headers on a vehicle than a Harley with loud pipes. Then before I knew it it seamed as though everyone was getting a set. So, not liking the sound and the reality that just about everyone had a set on their bike I quickly realized that I regretted buying them.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rrambo
I have the BR's with BCT baffles.. it's loud, but it's deep.. much more so now with the cams I just installed..

My only regrets about the BR's is the finish.. if you look at them funny they will scratch.. I will seriously consider pulling off the heat shields and having them PC'd.
That's exactly what I did with my pipes...they scratch way too easily so i had mine Powder Coated to match my rims...much better now

Quick Reply: Any Big Radius regrets