Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobtail Rear Can Go Away.....But What Rear Fender? '06 Train

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys for the ideas. FXST and the train fenders are the same. Duece and fatboy are not.

Hey Forge thanks for he offer but that one looks like its for an older Evo upto a '99.

I have read that you can use a heartland fender with stock horns and skip their strut covers. Is this not true of the RSD. Thought their struts were just a cover that goes over your frame horns just like a stock setup. Ideal setup is this. RSD rear fender $200 eBay use my stock horns to mount and keep them uncovered. Win my bid for a le pera bare bones for under $60. Paint the fender and bolt on and ride.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

It might be worth seeing if your dealer can make up something, the dealer I use uses a local tin smith to make up some nice looking fenders, you can get just the shape your looking for then.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Thats not a bad idea!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Measure between your struts, call bare knuckle choppers & tell them to send you a blank for $150. Drill it and ride it. I'd also call rsd & see what the width is & if it has an ecm cut out. If not cut your own hole or relocate the ecm behind the splash gaurd. All depends in how much you think you can handle fab wise.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Thanks Lundee,

Will do, and the less fad the better I don't have a welder. But I could drill holes if needed and ECM relocation should not be too hard. Saw a thread where a guy with a x bones removed it from the bracket and velcroed it by the battery and fuse box.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM
SeMiGoD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always cut the bob off the stock fender and round off the end a bit also...

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Tom

Was thinking about that when I had my dyna WG. But I thought it would not turn out right and that it would sit high and have a big gap even though my bike is really low already. Too bad these bikes did not come with a fender option from the factory.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,447 Likes on 2,596 Posts

I think the 200 tire fenders are8.5". there are 4-5 different people making them in diff styles.A fatboy fender will bolt up.Klockwerks makes an 8.5 blank now also.I like the 180 blank route as you can put your style cut on it.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CSS,
did you find out for sure if you can mount with those kits or not? i wasnt positive, just thought i had read that somewhere.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM
T2K5
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the RSD vintage kit. It does not have a cutout for the ECM. I tried the vintage seat (made by Mustang seats) that RSD offers, but did not like the way it fit or the quality. I looked around for custom seats, and found Bitchin Seat Co. I called and talked to Rich, and he knew exactly what I needed. It may be worth giving him a call before you make up you mind. I looked at the Heartland 200 EZ, and thought I was going to buy that one, but the price kind of scared me away. I am not sure if there kit comes with the cutout or not for the ECM. You can give them a call and they will help with all the details (I spoke with Josh, very helpful). RSD did not offer much help on the phone. By the time I bought the RSD vintage kit (fender and billet struts), and the seat from Bitchin Seats I had about $1500.00 for the kit and seat. The RSD tracker kit has steel struts and is about $300.00 cheaper than the RSD vintage kit. The Heartland kit is $2199.00 but does include a lower rock guard. I am happy with what I got, but would probably go with the Heartland kit if I did it again.

Quick Reply: Bobtail Rear Can Go Away.....But What Rear Fender? '06 Train