Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Finished

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 AM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally Finished

It's been a little over 3 months since I hit a deer and mangled up my Lo. I finally finished the rebuild yesterday afternoon and took it out for a test ride.. Everything seems great so I rode in to work this morning.

It's been a LONG process.. Starting with actually getting the money from my insurance company (long story) to waiting on backordered parts and finally just having the time to do it all myself..

It was a lot of work, but I can still say that no one but me has wrenched on my bike since it left the dealership.

Other than fixing what was damaged, I also installed TW-777 cams, lowered the front end, new SE heavy breather intake, engine guard, SE plug wires, new HD shift linkage and a new solo seat.

No pics yet, it still needs to be cleaned up a little..

I'm gonna say one thing about the TW-777 cams.. OMG!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Nice lookin black out on that 'lo'. Some folks hate those radius pipes but I like em, doesnt burn my leather bags up and nice sound...grinz

Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Leech1107
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to here you are back on the road Rambo. Cant wait to see the repair job, plus it makes it that much sweeter that you did it yourself.

Also side note thanks again for the ape write up it helped me a lot when i did mine this winter.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 AM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Nice lookin black out on that 'lo'. Some folks hate those radius pipes but I like em, doesnt burn my leather bags up and nice sound...grinz
Thanks.. you should hear them with the BCT baffles.. and now with the cams..

Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Leech1107
Good to here you are back on the road Rambo. Cant wait to see the repair job, plus it makes it that much sweeter that you did it yourself.

Also side note thanks again for the ape write up it helped me a lot when i did mine this winter.
Glad it helped you brother.. I wish I would have had time to take more pics of the rebuild and cam install.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome back to the road. Nice sled too. Question, did you get hurt when you hit the dear? Did you go down? Did you hit it head on? I only ask these questions out of 1, concern for your health and welfare, 2, I live in a Dear infested area and wondering when my number is going to come up to have one of them in my face out of no where! I have heard the best thing to do is to hit them head on...I don't know, I think I would prefer to try to manuvere the best I could and not hit them at all, if possible

Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 AM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Welcome back to the road. Nice sled too. Question, did you get hurt when you hit the dear? Did you go down? Did you hit it head on? I only ask these questions out of 1, concern for your health and welfare, 2, I live in a Dear infested area and wondering when my number is going to come up to have one of them in my face out of no where! I have heard the best thing to do is to hit them head on...I don't know, I think I would prefer to try to manuvere the best I could and not hit them at all, if possible
I consider myself a careful rider and always scan the area while riding.. That being said, I didn't see the deer until I hit him.. There's a lot of deer in the area so I guess my time was up.. It's like I was going along one minute fine and the next thing I know I felt the bike hit him and then he hit my leg.

I didn't go down, not sure how I managed it.. I did hit him fairly head on.. then he swung around and slammed into my leg.. he hit my leg with enough force that it entirely destroyed my intake.. to the point of breaking the intake flanges.. I'll try to find some of the pics of the intake..

I honestly think my apes saved me from going over the bike.. instead of me going over the bars, with my arms out in front, the bars took the force of my body going forward.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad to hear you are back on the bike! Looks great!!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 AM
dsonnenberg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the tw-777's on my standard, I've road about 200km's so far, and they are fun. I have shortshot pipes so I'm thinkin I need a good 2-1 pipe for a little more power. Doing the FM 107 next winter

Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 AM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by dsonnenberg
I just installed the tw-777's on my standard, I've road about 200km's so far, and they are fun. I have shortshot pipes so I'm thinkin I need a good 2-1 pipe for a little more power. Doing the FM 107 next winter
I was really close to doing the 107 at the same time, but the extra money and time to install it myself caused me to put it off..

The tw-777's were a real surprise.. I mean, you expect new cams to make a difference.. I wasn't expecting THAT much of a difference though.. WOW

It's literally a different machine now.. it runs and sounds like a beast!

Quick Reply: Finally Finished