Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Broke

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012 | 07:02 PM
Black Gator
|
Tourer
Default Bike Broke

So, we're heading out for our Saturday ride. As we turn onto the highway everybody is accelerating "briskly". Since i'm the last bike in line, i'm "layin' the wood to it" pretty good. Suddenly the bike lurches, the RPM rolls back to idle and then quits. I coast over to the side of the road, shut everything off and then start playing WTF. Start the bike back up, everything seems normal so, off we go. As I accelerate away, same song second verse. The column pulls over to wait for the "straggler", and one guy turns back to see what's up. After some discussion, we decide to see if a more leisurely acceleration will work. Bike seems to accept that strategy so off we go again. Short lived success as soon it begins bucking and farting, intermittently falling back to idle and eventually quitting. I finally surrender, telling the group to continue to destination as planned and i'll try and limp to local HD dealership and seek assistance. After several miles of accelerating/coasting, check engine light finally appears and the bike dies, not to be restarted.
At this point I call the local dealership and ask for some guidance, ie should I wait for buddys to return with trailer, call AAA or is there a dealer recommended service. Service manager answers the phone, determines my location (pretty close) and I hear him shout out to the service area "go hook up the trailer, we need to go get a bike". Sure enough, :20 minutes later the dealership trailer is with me, loading up my bike and taking us to service.
Since it's Saturday, service is only open half a day and with no appointment and limited staff it looks like my bike is theirs 'till sometime next week. No problem, at least it's safe and locked up and I'll wait my turn. But no, service guy calls me at 3:30 and says he had the tech's stay late to finish my bike 'cause he wanted me to be able to at least ride on Sunday.
Not bad huh.
Gator Harley-Davidson
Leesburg, Florida
If you're goin' to the Leesburg Bikefest stop in. These guys are really good.

Old 03-25-2012 | 07:07 PM
RossiSS
Intermediate

Nice story, good to see people get great service. You left out the most important part of the story though. What was wrong with your bike?

Old 03-25-2012 | 07:08 PM
11lofatboy
Cruiser

Sooooo..... What was wrong with it?

Old 03-25-2012 | 07:11 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

LOL... what a way to keep us interested. What was wrong with it??

Old 03-25-2012 | 07:23 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member

My bike did that, turned out to be a break in the post of one of the plugs, under the ceramic.

Old 03-25-2012 | 07:50 PM
Black Gator
|
Tourer

Throttle position sensor failed. Presented an array of symptoms and showed 7 different failure codes.

Old 03-25-2012 | 07:50 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

nice to a good dealer story. The "stealers" always get a pretty bad rep here... So yeah, what was wrong with it?

Old 03-25-2012 | 08:13 PM
The88Beast04
Road Captain

stupid sensor.
At least all is well now :-) and it's nice to hear a good story about a dealership too!!

Old 03-25-2012 | 09:12 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member

Glad they got it figured out and fixed for you. Good to see there are some competent shops out there.

Old 03-25-2012 | 10:50 PM
murd
Road Warrior

There was a day when we had some tools on board to wrench on the side of the road when things broke down. Now we need a bag of extra sensors.

Quick Reply: Bike Broke