Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

raise the gear ratio, higher speed, lower rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012 | 07:28 AM
Bsod
|
Club Member
Default raise the gear ratio, higher speed, lower rpm?

Getting past the quick off the line phase and would like to get a bit better mileage and lower rpm on the highway. What would be the best way to accomplish this? Not trying to spend a bunch of bux. I know nothing about what's on here now.

Thanx

Old 03-24-2012 | 07:58 AM
chiefe
Tourer

A six speed gear set will give you the best of both worlds. Sixth gear for high speed lower rpm on the free-way and still retain lower first. You did mention you have were past the quick off the line phase , however the lower first allows for good low speed maneuverability such as tight u-turns and such. Just a thought!

Old 03-24-2012 | 08:19 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree that the 6 speed, it is the best way to go. It will also save a heck of a lot of wear and tear on your motor. I put a SE 6 speed in mine and it was the best thing I ever did, I just love it. I would never own another 5 speed and if I bought a bike with a 5 speed it would only be with the intent of having enough money to throw a 6 speed in it. I can't think of a better over all mod a person could do on their bike. I am sure many would argue that but that is JMHO on the matter!!

Old 03-24-2012 | 10:53 AM
str8jacket
Tourer

Was all the work done to it before you bought it? Someone might have geared it down from the stock ratio. If you have a tach, you can check the RPM at 60mph and tell if it's geared down or not.

I can't disagree with the 6 speed suggestion as the ultimate solution. If it was within my budget I would change to a 6 speed.

Old 03-24-2012 | 11:16 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior

6 speed is awesome, but with the displacement you have you could certainly adjust your gearing if you wanted.

There are three choices - get a smaller rear pulley, get a larger front pulley, or change the clutch basket gearing. Easiest is to change the rear, if you have the belt adjustment. You can go to Big Boyz and use the gear calculator there to determine the effects of the various combinations.

I wanted more down low on mine, since the '07 bikes were geared a bit too tall, and I had enough adjustment on my rear to be able to change from a 66 tooth to a 70 tooth... that made all the difference in the world for me. You may want to determine what you have on now and see if you can find a rear pulley that is two teeth smaller, which would likely do what you're looking for and I'd guess you should have enough travel to accommodate that adjustment.

Roger

Old 03-24-2012 | 11:21 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 03-24-2012 | 11:41 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Ive read in here a bunch on 5 gears vs 6 gears and most say there is only 250-400 rpm difference at 70 mph.

IMHO don't think I'd change a 5 speed out if I had one.

As far as getting better mileage Ur build, tune/dyno and right hand pretty much determines what Ur mileage is.

As mentioned above, do U know if Ur gears are stock now or did someone else or U change any sprockets.

Here's some links to what other think and say about same issue.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...6-speed-2.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...6-speed-3.html

Or look through all these on the Google search I did on it.

https://www.google.com/search?source...l865l10j1l11l0.

Old 04-14-2013 | 03:36 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by tunaman
There are three choices - get a smaller rear pulley, get a larger front pulley, or change the clutch basket gearing. Easiest is to change the rear, if you have the belt adjustment. You can go to Big Boyz and use the gear calculator there to determine the effects of the various combinations.
Roger
I have searched, however, to no avail. I cannot find what gear it is I need to get to get taller gearing. I am definitely not spending $600+ on a six-speed trans.
Can anyone post a link?

Thanks!

Last edited by Road Star; 04-14-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2013 | 04:00 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior

Poor mans overdrive.

This one is sold out but there are quite a few out there.

http://store.illusionmotorcycles.com...verdrive-kit-1

One word of caution with a built motor: IF it already starts hard you don't want to do this. If you bike has compression releases or spins over just fine, this will be a cheap alternative to what you want.

Old 04-14-2013 | 07:29 PM
Bsod
|
Club Member

Looks like they are out of stock for the moment. Wonder how long before they get some more built? Hey FC, I guess I should read your full message.LOL

Last edited by Bsod; 04-14-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: only read part of msg!

Quick Reply: raise the gear ratio, higher speed, lower rpm?