Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:55 AM
PearlWhiteGT
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installing Apes

I just got a email with tracking info for my 14" BR Custom Beaters Bars. Should arrive next week at my door step. This will be my first attempt at doing a bar swap on my 08 Train. I can easily have a indy shop do the install but I really want to do it my self. So I'm going to need a lot of help from anyone of you guys that have done this. If any of you guys have any tips, trick, links, videos, etc... Please post them here. I've done a search already & found a couple of things that were useful. Just looking to see what else is out there. I also have the service manual but trying to follow that is like reading in a foreign language. I will be using a Novello wire extension kit to help with the install. So, any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 AM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT
I just got a email with tracking info for my 14" BR Custom Beaters Bars. Should arrive next week at my door step. This will be my first attempt at doing a bar swap on my 08 Train. I can easily have a indy shop do the install but I really want to do it my self. So I'm going to need a lot of help from anyone of you guys that have done this. If any of you guys have any tips, trick, links, videos, etc... Please post them here. I've done a search already & found a couple of things that were useful. Just looking to see what else is out there. I also have the service manual but trying to follow that is like reading in a foreign language. I will be using a Novello wire extension kit to help with the install. So, any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!
Did you get new Cables?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The biggest thing is to go slow, don't try to force anything and drink after your done not before...

Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 AM
D94
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck bro. Just did my first swap out a couple of months ago. Take your time, not that complicated. One note, regardless of what you may hear, best to remove the tank. Easy to get to everything.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 AM
AjAnd3rson
Tourer

The search function is your friend!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-fatboylo.html

This is one a buddy did and I helped him through.

It's all pretty straight forward and easy.

If you run into trouble just post up a question on the board and people will be here to help man.

You dont need to remove your tank but I find it easier to take it off and have it out of the way. Ive done a ape install twice on my bike and 3 or 4 other times on friends bikes.

I would suggest picking up a bottle of "Harley lube" at your local dealer. It's a tiny bottle with a hypodermic needle. Remember to lube all of your cables (throttle, idle, clutch)

Also poly bushings are a must!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 AM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My install (from the tutorial above) wasn't so bad... especially now after having my bike torn down to rebuild after my crash.. and even though I didn't remove my tank, after having my tank off now, it probably would have been easier in the long run.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 AM
PearlWhiteGT
Road Captain

I'm getting new cables, poly bushings & risers. I'm currently looking for some black levers. Would like to get some nice black controls but I'm almost out of money already so there going to have to wait. Anyone using these levers? Not sure if I like them.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/416...-Zombie-Levers

Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Those look a little overkill, to me at least. Did you think about powdercoating what you got now?

I had my hand levers, brake pedal arm and the shifter levers done for $45. (Sig pic will be updated when I get everything, including apes installed)

I liked the way it all turned out that I also had them do my switch housings, front master cylinder and the clutch perch. That cost me another $50 and everything looks awesome.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 03-23-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Bfranz666
Intermediate

The wide black levers are everywhere on Ebay for $25 shipped. Look great and CHEAP. And I agree, taking the tank off helps a ton during installation

Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by D94
Good luck bro. Just did my first swap out a couple of months ago. Take your time, not that complicated. One note, regardless of what you may hear, best to remove the tank. Easy to get to everything.
Also, protect the front fender. A dropped tool, would have the neighbors wondering what you're doing in the garage screaming...

Quick Reply: Installing Apes