Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gloss Black Primary - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012 | 03:22 PM
jbmolly
Cruiser

I love the brushed aluminum, but on your bike I think the Gloss Black would look better.

Old 03-20-2012 | 08:11 PM
T2K5
Advanced

I think the gloss black will look good. I ordered a gloss black primary for my bike over a month ago for my FatBoy Lo. It is on back order until 4-20-2012. I could have just pc'd my stock cover, but have decided to keep all my take off parts, just in case I want to go back or ever sell my bike.

Old 03-20-2012 | 11:54 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jaburg1
What would you do? I will probably do the transmission side cover, too. They're not that expensive, but I was thinking the stock cover adds some nice contrast to that side of the bike. I'll look at it again when I get home tonight
I see both sides of it: you could do the trans cover up in gloss black to match up with the rest of the engine covers but, then again, it does provide a good contrast to that side of the bike. I am probably not the best person to ask on this... I have changed my mind about what I want to do with my bike when I get back about a thousand times. But, it wouldn't cost you anything just to leave it on there for a while and see if you like it. You have had it on there like it is so far, so who's to say you have to change it? I know, I am not helping

Old 03-21-2012 | 07:14 AM
Jaburg1
|
Road Master

CaptainMorgan,

Thanks for your comments and, actually, it does help. That's the cool thing about a contrast look with black and chrome, you can mix and match a lot of different ways and they all look good.

My big concern with an all gloss black primary is that it may be too much and the finish may not hold up as well with scratches, chips, fading, etc.....

Old 03-21-2012 | 10:48 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Definitely Black, maybe not Gloss, but Black for sure gets my vote.

Old 03-21-2012 | 11:11 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

CaptainMorgan,

Thanks for your comments and, actually, it does help. That's the cool thing about a contrast look with black and chrome, you can mix and match a lot of different ways and they all look good.

My big concern with an all gloss black primary is that it may be too much and the finish may not hold up as well with scratches, chips, fading, etc.....
I think you will love the black primary. You may be inclined to change out the derby cover though (you know, mods lead to more mods... it's a viscious cycle) to give more contrast, but then again, maybe not. But if you do... the Dark Custom one and the Jack Daniels one do look slick on a gloss black primary cover Take a look at your oil tank, that should give you a good idea of how the primary will hold up to the washings/fading. And from what I have seen, those PCd parts from Harley last a loooong time. You shouldn't really get any dings or scratches from the road or rocks because it is still fairly close to the bike and your boards will scrape before the primary does.

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 03-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2012 | 11:46 AM
Jaburg1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Take a look at your oil tank, that should give you a good idea of how the primary will hold up to the washings/fading. And from what I have seen, those PCd parts from Harley last a loooong time. You shouldn't really get any dings or scratches from the road or rocks because it is still fairly close to the bike and your boards will scrape before the primary does.

The voice of reason! I'll order the gloss black primary cover and transmission cover today.

Old 03-21-2012 | 11:48 AM
Jaburg1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by T2K5
I think the gloss black will look good. I ordered a gloss black primary for my bike over a month ago for my FatBoy Lo. It is on back order until 4-20-2012. I could have just pc'd my stock cover, but have decided to keep all my take off parts, just in case I want to go back or ever sell my bike.

I didn't notice this post! I'll give my local shop a call to check availability before I order. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:17 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

The voice of reason! I'll order the gloss black primary cover and transmission cover today.
You'll have to post some updated pics when you get it all put on so I can check out to see if I want to do the same to mine On yours I am positive it is going to flow great! The only concern I have with mine is that I have the denim black oil tank, so the gloss black might clash with it... maybe I'll denim black the covers or leave them alone? What to do?

Old 03-21-2012 | 02:02 PM
Jaburg1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
The only concern I have with mine is that I have the denim black oil tank, so the gloss black might clash with it... maybe I'll denim black the covers or leave them alone? What to do?

On your bike, I'd leave exactly the way it is. The colors are balanced well. Take a look at the HD chrome coil cover and voltage regulator cover for their style. If you like them, get them powder coated black. I like the styling and improves on the stock cover on the coil.

Quick Reply: Gloss Black Primary - Opinions Please