Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about trading in...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:42 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Make sure you start heading for the door at least once. You'd be amazed how many times they'll come after you...

Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 PM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

I know I stated that I am well aware that I will not get retail. I could only locate the low and clean retail numbers on NADA internet site. My plan is as follows:

1- Take bike to dealer
2-Ask them to look at my bike and give me the best trade in towards the used bike I saw Sat
3-Go home to think about it.

I already told them It would not happen right away anyway. No running credit etc...Just like another poster said..I have a bike and the ability to ride into the wind on that bike LOL.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:47 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So the street glide will be $24,700 ( added the 3k you owe) and you'll prob get no more than $11k for your bike.

So is the street glide worth another $14,000 to you

Old 03-18-2012, 02:13 PM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

I am actually looking at a used one they have for 14900 (or less) according to the salesman. It is an 06 with rineharts and some other stuff. That bike has 24K though. They had 2 or 3 used ones. I will have to see what they are talkin bout...

Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM
jbmolly
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the Kelly Blue Book Trade In Value.
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/trade-...-train/231285/

The Dealer is only gonna give you trade in. Mods or Stock. They have to be in it low enough so that they can sell it for low retail and still make money. I would take all of the mods off and sell them on the forum and then trade it in. I would pay it off first and sell all of the extra parts then have a little extra cash to deal with.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I like a train all modded up but I love the looks of a bagger all done up. Go for it. If my house ever sells I will be getting a new Street Glide my self. Cant get rid of my bar hopper though. Either way you go the sled you have is bad ***.

Stone

Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I'd try and sell it outright first, I just hate trading vehicles in. You never know, it may be someone's dream bike.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

My advice: Nice bikes are out there, there is nothing so special about the one you are looking at that you can not get as good of a deal (maybe better) in the future.

That said, advertise your bike on craigslist or the like at the price you think you can get (retail - maybe even high retail if it is particularly nice). If/when you sell it, you will know how much you really have to work with when you buy a "new" bike. Or at least you will know how much your bike is really worth from the marketplace.

Nothing worse that feeling like the dealer gave it to you hard, without lube, both coming and going. If there is lots of interest in the bike, you have more ammo for negotiations if you really want to do a trade-in scenario.

Just remember, the dealer is not only going to have to make a profit on the sale of the "new" bike on you, but he will have to buy the bike cheap from you so he can sell it to someone for the price you would have sold it to them. Hence the "coming and going" thing I described earlier.

With all respect to everyone who bought their bike new, folks have to admit the value of a new bike sinks like a stone after it is purchased. Being the second owner of a bike with less than 10K miles is a much better scenario, financially, than buying new. I bought my bike for less than 40% of what the guy who purchased it new paid for it. No scratches, bumps, nicks, or any other problems. There are lots of cream-puffs out there. Only buy an unmodified used bike with an great, documented service history. Your wallet will love you for it.

Oh, and by the way, your credit union also gives competitive loans on used bikes, so the dealer is not the only place to get financing.

Off soapbox now.

Last edited by SprungDave; 03-18-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Remember, the Night Train has been discontinued and is a very popular bike. Make sure your not going to regret getting rid of it before you do.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,342 Likes on 3,187 Posts

They'll only give you 8,000, so they can resell at 12,000. It's business. Maybe less if they buy back the loan or tack it on the new bike.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading in...