Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT, PCIII, (Or Neither)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006 | 10:44 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Default RE: SERT, PCIII, (Or Neither)

If you're going to start adding performance mods to your bike, you're going to need one programmer or another. All have their own advantages and disadvantages.

FWIW, I chose Dynojet's Power Commander III USB. Any dealer with a Dynojet or other brand of dynamometer can "fine tune" your bike with it or you can just download a "canned" map for your setup from the Power Commander web site or elsewhere. These generic maps will get you close enough so that your bike will run fine and they're convenient if you're not worried about getting the last ounce of horsepower from your mods.

Old 12-24-2006 | 12:24 PM
jfry30
Intermediate

Deuce, how do I get info on the unit your going to use.

Old 12-24-2006 | 12:56 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

you can check it out here:

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan2.html

Old 12-24-2006 | 01:00 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Heritage07

Heard the same thing supposedly the sert reads and adjustthe ecm condition over a wider rpm range then just a flash download.I guess it is like micro tuning so the bike never has a flat spot.All I know is it works!
the SERT doesn't "read and adjust the ECM", it is not an add on module like the Fuelpak or PCIII.
the SERT is used to download a new MAP to the ECM, just like the dealer would do.
the difference is that with a SERT you can adjust AFR, timing, VE, idle speed and many other parameters to fine tune your engine.

Old 12-24-2006 | 04:31 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

You say you're an "old carb guy"...What if you could get an "electronic" jet kit? You can. It's called a DFO and there's plenty of info about it available in the archives and online.

Old 12-24-2006 | 08:17 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Deuce Bigelow

ORIGINAL: Heritage07

Heard the same thing supposedly the sert reads and adjustthe ecm condition over a wider rpm range then just a flash download.I guess it is like micro tuning so the bike never has a flat spot.All I know is it works!
the SERT doesn't "read and adjust the ECM", it is not an add on module like the Fuelpak or PCIII.
the SERT is used to download a new MAP to the ECM, just like the dealer would do.
the difference is that with a SERT you can adjust AFR, timing, VE, idle speed and many other parameters to fine tune your engine.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 12-26-2006 | 11:57 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer

If you already have the SERT installed make sure you have the box or dongle (as it's called), if you go to make any changes to it later you will need this. The SERT reads the ECM info and marries itself to the bike it's installed on, if you don't have the dongle for it and want to make changes later you will have to buy a new SERT package and start over.

Old 12-26-2006 | 12:13 PM
OldFenderGuy
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JohnK/Pa

If you already have the SERT installed make sure you have the box or dongle (as it's called), if you go to make any changes to it later you will need this. The SERT reads the ECM info and marries itself to the bike it's installed on, if you don't have the dongle for it and want to make changes later you will have to buy a new SERT package and start over.
Hopefully the previous owner still has the box/dongle/cables/etc.

I don't plan on making any immediate changes, but if I do in the future I'd hate to spend another $300+ for a new SERT if it's not necessary. [8D]