Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best $16 I ever spent

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 04:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Cup, I would ride it a bit first. We just did my buddies Fatboy. He bought the front drop in kit as well. We just put the front kit back on ebay. He was so thrilled with just the back bolts installed that he decided not to do the front. He's also scraping a lot more than he ever thought he would by just doing the back. Remember, you can always do the front any time in the future should the need strike you.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Cup
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's my plan. Going to put some good miles on it the next few days and see then lower the front next weekend to see how I like it. I've heard several say that their bike handles better if you lower both.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Cup, I would ride it a bit first. We just did my buddies Fatboy. He bought the front drop in kit as well. We just put the front kit back on ebay. He was so thrilled with just the back bolts installed that he decided not to do the front. He's also scraping a lot more than he ever thought he would by just doing the back. Remember, you can always do the front any time in the future should the need strike you.
I look at it this way: You're probably running 2 inches lower (or more) with the wife/gf on the back (with no lowering kit) and you don't feel the need to lower the front, so why would you (necessarilly) lower the front for the bolt kit? Looks maybe, but handling shouldn't be an issue.

Now, slammed all the way maybe another story...

Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Cup
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wife rode on the back once and got her license the next week. Refuses to ride 'bi#*h' ever again.

Might lower the back all the way and see if it bottoms out on me at all.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
OkieNiteTrain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Cup!! Mine drags a little on speed bumps but otherwise it's fine.
Glad you done it.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 PM
usefulshrimp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ordered a set. I'll post before/after pics once they're installed late this week.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM
BIG6Y
Intermediate

My 2004 Heritage has lowering bolts on it, looks and rides great! Does anybody have any before and after measurements? I have 10" from the center of the axle to the bottom of the fender. Just curious what it should be stock.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG6Y
My 2004 Heritage has lowering bolts on it, looks and rides great! Does anybody have any before and after measurements? I have 10" from the center of the axle to the bottom of the fender. Just curious what it should be stock.
All I know is the Heritage sits HIGH. I could probably still drop another 2" and be fine solo.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Five7Hemi
Cruiser

So I bought some bolts off of ebay. Got the suspension apart, the spring apart, went to screw on the lowering bolts, and they wouldn't thread into the existing bolt that it right outside of the spring.

Idk if I am doing anything wrong, but a bolt going into a nut is pretty elementary, so I think it just doesn't work.

Any words of wisdom?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help me understand please

Service manual says that in order to pull the shocks you need three lifts/hoists - lift the bike up, then put a scissor jack under the rear tire, then attach a ceiling hoist to lift the back end up. How are you guys pulling the shock to make this mod without all this rigamarole? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Best $16 I ever spent