Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic vs fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ccarmack
...."that looks like a paw paw bike"....
No getting around that. That's why I stripped it all off 'sept for the windshield. Big trip, I can put it all back on though...

Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
ccarmack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
No getting around that. That's why I stripped it all off 'sept for the windshield. Big trip, I can put it all back on though...
Hind sight is 20/20. If I could do it over again I would have done several things differently. One more argument that firemen are smarter than cops. lol

Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Speedy818
Advanced

My thought is that the FatBoy is a pretty classic bike at this point, however, some years look better than others. The Heritage always looks good, but it takes more work to turn heads since it has such a "classic Harley" look.

Ride what you like. It's just handlebars and footboards. Everything can be changed. Just get the closest thing possible on the showroom floor and then get to work. I'm sure you can get a set of take-off bags and a windshield off somebody's Heritage for less than the $1000 that Harley wants, so I'd say the wheels are the biggest difference. That could be some real $ saved if you're not into the disc thing.

I know on the V-Rod side of things, the disk wheels weren't super popular on the highway, as many people thought they acted as big sails. YMMV.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior

Take the Heritage! I can remove the bags, backrest, windshield and back seat and Voila' Fatboy look with better fenders and Spokes. I do like the looks of the Fatboy wheels, but spokes are Classic. If you take the Fatboy for $1,000 less money, add the $700 bags, $350 backrest, and a $450.00 windshield you get a similar ride to the Heritage, but it cost more.

In the end, get what you want, you have to ride it. I vote Heritage every time though.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

Ok this is just me being a little bit of a jerk so I am very sorry. But I cant tell you how many Fatboys I have had to put saddle bags, sissy bar, lugage rack, windshield and passing lamps on. I mean come on people just buy the dang Heritage by the time you put all that stuff on it costs you way more than buying a heritage to begin with.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
false58
Stage III
Default FatBoy vs Heritage

I went with the FatBoy traded in a Street Glide i really miss the bags but not the electrical problems .If i were to do it again i would go with the Heritage

Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMECH
Ok this is just me being a little bit of a jerk so I am very sorry. But I cant tell you how many Fatboys I have had to put saddle bags, sissy bar, lugage rack, windshield and passing lamps on. I mean come on people just buy the dang Heritage by the time you put all that stuff on it costs you way more than buying a heritage to begin with.
Yeah that's my whole thought on it. I really like the fattys looks but the heritage has grown so much on me.

Originally Posted by juicedstang999
My father has a 2010 Heritage and I have a 2008 Fatty. After riding and getting to swap back and forth for a while, the FB is a little more spirited in the handling dept. but the Heritage is a bit more comfy on long rides. All depends on what you are going to do with it. Is it going to be a customized "bar hopper" or are you going to put some miles on her?

BTW, my Dad always puts my extra **** in his bags on longer rides which is a big + for the Heritage...

That's the thing I'd like to put some miles on a bike. Now I only go for half day rides on the sporty because that's about all my rear and back can stand. The more I think about it the more I wish I had bags even for little day trips. I hate wearing a backpack to keep things in all the time. I just really need more room all over.

Seems like a lot of people with softails really like them though. I don't see many at all for sale, and they seem to hold value. I especially see very few heritages on the used market.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM
hamdizle
Cruiser

FATBOY FOR LIFE....although both are cool....

Old 04-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Clint Bateman
Intermediate

I own neither but have rode both, I am a little partial to the FB between the two, take whatever fits you best

Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

These are the same exact frame though right? Like the fatboy I felt you sit more into the bike could you get the same feel on the heritage with a different seat?

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic vs fatboy