Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic vs fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:01 AM
TATONKA 96
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

heritage with the tour pak,very versatile,you can remove everything in about 5 mins,2 bikes in 1.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Neither, I'd go with the Deluxe. The Fatboy rear tire & fender is too fat & bloated, and WAY outta proportion for the rest of the bike.

Too me the "denim" look is played out.
If the Denim look is played out what about the chrome and glossy paint look? I don't think the 200 tire and fender are out of proportion at all. But I guess if you are a Deluxe guy it makes sense that you think this way.

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Classic vs fatboy-202.jpg  
Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 AM
TATONKA 96
Intermediate
Wink

My vote goes to the Heritage with a tour pak,you can remove everything in about 5 mins.2 bikes in 1!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My choice is the Heritage with the bags removed over the Fatboy. Both are great. Can't go wrong either way.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am partial to the Fatboy, but I should say that I have been in love with them since they appeared in 1990. I think the Heritage looks more at home with bags and windshield. As stated in earlier posts, they are essentially the same bikes made very different with the use of fenders, trim, bars, seats and wheels.

Probably can't go wrong with either on, but I definitely agree with the post that said you should get the one YOU like.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Same family but they are really two very different bikes. You need to sit on both and hopefully test ride each. I thought the FB looked great but I really didn't like the way it "fit" me. I have short legs and short arms so I am sure that was an issue there.

The Heritage was a perfect fit for me.
I'm curious to know how the Fatboy "didn't fit you" but the Heritage did?? they share the exact same chassis just different bars and seats.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Steve Leonard
Advanced

If I hadn't rode them both back to back I would agree that there would not be much difference but the seat and bars make a huge difference in the feel of the 2. I really loved the look of the fatboy but the feel of the heritage and I wanted bags and a shield it was much cheaper to get the Heritage
Originally Posted by thewholehog
I'm curious to know how the Fatboy "didn't fit you" but the Heritage did?? they share the exact same chassis just different bars and seats.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM
StLSpringer
Tourer

My problem with both is the front end, I am a Springer guy so the cowl, headlight and forks look ugly (just my opinion, not here to offend) so it was a Heritage Springer for me.

My dad has a Heritage Softail and fully dressed, yea it isn't as "sporty" looking as when it is dressed down, but in 5 minutes it can be stripped down and to me it looks better "raw" than the FB due to the rear fender.

You never know when you want to split for a few days and having bags with good capacity is a good thing, even if you don't use them daily. Quick release them and leave them in the garage.

I love the nostalgia of Heritages and if you want to customize them there are tons of parts.

They are both great bikes and you will love either one. Find a deal, buy what you like and ride the hell out of it.

Name:  IMG_2150.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  76.1 KB[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
ccarmack
Advanced

I went with the fatboy for the exact same reason you stated. My wife looked at the heritage and said "that looks like a paw paw bike". A bunch of money later.....I have a heritage with fat tires and no saddlebags (my next project). I gotta admit though, it is a very tough looking bike. My advised is force the dealership to let you ride the bikes and just pick the one that feels better. The seat you spoke of seems nice until you hit about the two hour mark. I bought a mustang wide with a backrest and love it for long trips. My two cents is try to get the dealership to through in some saddlebags if you go with the fatboy. I really wish i had some........

Old 03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are in love with solid wheels, get the Fatboy. If not, there really is no reason not to go with the Heritage.

The Heritage is much more versatile and comes, from the factory, with much more accessories. Accessories, by the way, that you can strip off when the mood strikes you. You get several looks in one when you get the Heritage. If wide tires are your thing, note that the front tire of both the Heritage and Fatboy are the same (MT90b16). You can easily fit a 160 on the rear of the Heritage at your next tire change, if it matters to you that much. In all reality, a MU85b16 is a stock replacement for the MT90b16 that is on the rear of the Heritage, except it is a 145 wide (instead of the 130 wide) and has a tread depth that is 2/32 deeper than the stock tire, which gives you better tire life. I have the Dunlop MT90b16F MU85b16R combo on my Heritage Springer, in the WWW, and it H-D branded to boot.

Really, the fender covers most of the rear tire, and a 180 vs a 160 is indistinguishable for all but the most careful observer, performance-wise, there is zero difference.

In the end, who cares what we think. What do YOU want?

Last edited by SprungDave; 03-12-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic vs fatboy