Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic vs fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Heritage and loved it! Not sure why I sold it Now I have a Fatboy and love it! Heritage is a better value unless you buy used and then you have all kinds of choices!

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Classic vs fatboy-2000-heritage-003.jpg   Heritage Classic vs fatboy-p1000356.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 09heritagerider
I think it comes down to the look you are going for...they are completely different. I wanted the classic look from the 40's and 50's, so the Heritage was the obvious choice in the Softail line. I happen to love the studded bags (use them everyday), full fenders, and spoked wheels. My choices were between the Heritage and RK Classic. In retrospect, I still like the look/seating position of the Heritage better, but the RK has more capability for the long haul with a passenger. If you don't ride 2-up often, get whatever the hell you want. My biggest recommendation would be to test ride both for a day. That will tell you which one to buy.
I honestly plan on it. I jumped into the nightster and while I love the bike, I'll never buy another without knowing if I can live with it entirely. For instance yeah I'll plan on doing stage one and engine guard on any future bike I get but I don't want to have to be switching handlebars, turn signals, etc etc to get it the way I like it.

Who knows maybe it'll come to that anyway. But I know when I look at the fatboy I say I need to buy bags, and a sissy bar & pad, maybe a windshield (maybe not). Where with the heritage I look at it and say it already has this stuff. Course I could buy used too then who knows, someone else would have already paid the harley tax.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 PM
KYfishtail
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was shopping for a bike last summer, I wanted a FB. I was smitten with the wheels. The Heritage fit me better though, I have a 27" inseam and short arms,. I wanted a detachable windshield and bags. Found a Heritage with FB wheels, so now I have close to what I want. I hate the studs though.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I went to the harley dealership to look at the traveling museum. When I walked through the showroom and seen that 200 tire on back I fell in love. I rented an '05 fatboy while in Hawaii and loved the way it handled even at the canyon. Like others said it fit. I'm about 5'8" and my feet touch the ground with no problem and the bars were just right. It was what I was looking for in a bike and style. If I decide to travel anywhere long I can throw a bag on back and go, but I bought it mainly just to cruise around on and site see especially on the beach. Get the one that is right for you.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

PS I never got to see the museum.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Being an older type person, over 60 I've always liked the spots and leather, but not many younger riders do.

I don't care for the solid wheels on the FB and don't need the 200 BIG rear tire to be happy. (LOTs of FB owners complain about only getting 3-6k on it anyway)

I did want the shield and bags, so between the two it was a no brainer for me.

Just have to sit on them and take a ride if U can to see which one fits U better.

Changing out seat and bars can be done, just a lot of $$$$$

I still have the stock seat and bars on our 07 and love them. Couldn't buy any better than I have IMO.

I do believe that in 09 the stock Heritage bars changed, I sit on one and IMO I don't like them as much as ours. But sometimes its what U get used to that feels better.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM
clemdog54
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought A 2012 fat boy two tone when it came down to it I wanted the look of the fat boy I have already started the changes with the bike. when done it will look like a combo of the two I think it is a personal choice of what you like

Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

Heritage all the way. Pull off all that touring stuff and you have a sweet clean ride for around town, or when you want to act like an "old man" put your bags and shield on and spend a few weeks on the open road. You can always put a 200 rear tire on later if its a deal breaker...

Old 03-09-2012, 11:24 PM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

blackliner for me!!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:38 AM
juicedstang999
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father has a 2010 Heritage and I have a 2008 Fatty. After riding and getting to swap back and forth for a while, the FB is a little more spirited in the handling dept. but the Heritage is a bit more comfy on long rides. All depends on what you are going to do with it. Is it going to be a customized "bar hopper" or are you going to put some miles on her?

BTW, my Dad always puts my extra **** in his bags on longer rides which is a big + for the Heritage...

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic vs fatboy