Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic vs fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
So I was at the dealership looking at bikes while waiting for my own. You know dreaming of one for the future.

Just curious with what you guys went with and why. I like the looks of the Fatboy more. Not to say the heritage looks bad by any means. But the woman told me it's an old man's bike. However the better deal seems to be on the Heritage Classic. You get windshield, sissy bar and pad and saddle bags, pretty nice looking ones for like 1000 more.

The fatboy seat seemed more comfy, but maybe after riding awhile it wouldn't be. I like the fatboy more but the heritage is growing on me, so what do you guys like more and why?
OLD MANS BIKE ??? There were many young guys responding to the survey about "What is your age Heritage owners?" I'll bet the woman that made that comment was a teenie bopper whose boyfriend rides a V-Rod. The Heritage is the most classic example of what Harley started out as for the people that love retro and there is no age requirements to own and love them. People that have owned a lot of Harleys usually end up on one. There is a reason for that. " Heritage Forever "

Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

I too prefered the look of the fat *** on the Fat Boy, plus wanted a blank canvas so I could do everything my own way.

To each their own.

Roger

Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
Same family but they are really two very different bikes. You need to sit on both and hopefully test ride each. I thought the FB looked great but I really didn't like the way it "fit" me. I have short legs and short arms so I am sure that was an issue there.

The Heritage was a perfect fit for me.
That's my issue to. I'm 5'11" and have a 30" inseam. Same goes for my arms they're pretty short as well.

Originally Posted by Man In Black
OLD MANS BIKE ??? There were many young guys responding to the survey about "What is your age Heritage owners?" I'll bet the woman that made that comment was a teenie bopper whose boyfriend rides a V-Rod. The Heritage is the most classic example of what Harley started out as for the people that love retro and there is no age requirements to own and love them. People that have owned a lot of Harleys usually end up on one. There is a reason for that. " Heritage Forever "
Well the comment was from my girlfriend and I have a sportster so say what you will. The funny thing was, I want a new bike and we were looking at the harley website, and I was looking through the touring bikes and the first bike she even said she'd ride with me by looking at the pictures was a big freaking electra glide, because she would feel "secure". But the heritage was an old man's bike I had to laugh. Maybe it's better to ride alone!

Nothing against the touring bikes, but I'm not a grandpa yet.

Originally Posted by Clayvis
I have not looked at prices lately, but when I bought my Fatty in 07 I remember thinking the Heritage was a better value for the money. Then they went and lowered the price of the MSRP on the Fatboy! Anyway, I've always like the Fatboy look. I have removeable accerories for tourning, and it is only a matter of minutes to go from one look to the other. Not sure you can do that with Heritage bags...Plus I love me that fat a$$ 200 tire. Just don't like replacing them every 8-9000 miles.

A new heritage classic is $17,349 in black. A new fatboy is $16,349 in black. So it's $1000 difference. Which is enough for me to weigh the options and say that maybe a fatboy isn't what I'm set on. Unless of course I win the raffle on one! I wouldn't mind that.

In the end I'll have to test em both out before I buy. Maybe even rent one when I really start looking to decide which one I could really see myself behind. But right now I think the fatboy looks mean, and the heritage classic, looks well classy.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't particularly care for all of the studs on the Heritage, I'd go for the Fatboy and put the original buckhorn bars back on it came with up until this year.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaburg1
My first Harley was this 2002 Fatboy.... I like my bikes long, lean, and narrow.....
Wow, that bike is beautiful. I would have had a seriously hard time letting one like that go. I mean, damn, that bike just looks gorgeous!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
bcrdb
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are great bikes, you get a lot of extras with the Heritage, but they are only valuable if you like them and plan to keep them for the long run. My Lo is my second Fat Boy, and I like the cleaner look.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Wow, that bike is beautiful. I would have had a seriously hard time letting one like that go. I mean, damn, that bike just looks gorgeous!

Thank you very much! I loved that bike. That was when chrome was king. I was under some harder times then....just divorced, living in an apartment, bills were the main priority...... I put a lot into it and I sold it to a friend. Sadly, he modified it, but at least I sold it to someone I knew.

Not to take away from this thread, I just wanted to cast my vote for the FatBoy. You can do a lot to it.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Neither, I'd go with the Deluxe. The Fatboy rear tire & fender is too fat & bloated, and WAY outta proportion for the rest of the bike.

Too me the "denim" look is played out.
What turned me off to the Fatboy was that oversized squared off back fender and the solid wheels. Love the 200mm tire tho. A nice rounded back fender would have made all the difference.

Heritage gives you that old-school look that I was after. Took off most everything that had studs tho. Not interested in the fully dressed look.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 AM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it comes down to the look you are going for...they are completely different. I wanted the classic look from the 40's and 50's, so the Heritage was the obvious choice in the Softail line. I happen to love the studded bags (use them everyday), full fenders, and spoked wheels. My choices were between the Heritage and RK Classic. In retrospect, I still like the look/seating position of the Heritage better, but the RK has more capability for the long haul with a passenger. If you don't ride 2-up often, get whatever the hell you want. My biggest recommendation would be to test ride both for a day. That will tell you which one to buy.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dug the badass look of the Black Fatboy better and this scene kinda sticks in my head whenever I think of my bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_d03QkfhKI&

Last edited by Totally Bored; 03-09-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic vs fatboy