Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic vs fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 AM
keikanca
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fat Boy!

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
So I was at the dealership looking at bikes while waiting for my own. You know dreaming of one for the future.

Just curious with what you guys went with and why. I like the looks of the Fatboy more. Not to say the heritage looks bad by any means. But the woman told me it's an old man's bike. However the better deal seems to be on the Heritage Classic. You get windshield, sissy bar and pad and saddle bags, pretty nice looking ones for like 1000 more.

The fatboy seat seemed more comfy, but maybe after riding awhile it wouldn't be. I like the fatboy more but the heritage is growing on me, so what do you guys like more and why?
The Heritage is an awesome bike and looks great dressed up, but IMO, the Fat Boy looks better stripped down, and I love the solid wheels. Can't go wrong either way! My Lo goes from touring to stripped down in 5 minutes, and she rocks!

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Classic vs fatboy-fb.1.jpg   Heritage Classic vs fatboy-fb.2.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 07:27 AM
flstci
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The heritage gives you more options and from there, turn it into whatever you want...

Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Steve Leonard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually went to buy a fatboy until I testdrove the Heritage. I still love the look of the fatboy but the fit of the heritage is second to none for me.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 AM
jadlh
Cruiser

I like both, I drove and rented a Heritage a couple of times. I still like the look of the FB better than the Heritage. They handle about the same. I got the FB
Name:  DSC_0062_edited-1-1.jpg
Views: 10254
Size:  135.1 KB

Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not looked at prices lately, but when I bought my Fatty in 07 I remember thinking the Heritage was a better value for the money. Then they went and lowered the price of the MSRP on the Fatboy! Anyway, I've always like the Fatboy look. I have removeable accerories for tourning, and it is only a matter of minutes to go from one look to the other. Not sure you can do that with Heritage bags...Plus I love me that fat a$$ 200 tire. Just don't like replacing them every 8-9000 miles.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I decided to buy a Harley I went to the dealership liking the Fatboy Lo but left with a Heritage Classic. I loved the denim look of the Lo but after evaluating both bikes I thought..........................Chrome never goes out of style..

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,649 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Neither, I'd go with the Deluxe. The Fatboy rear tire & fender is too fat & bloated, and WAY outta proportion for the rest of the bike.

Too me the "denim" look is played out.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Nice to see all of the Lo Boys came out to this thread

For me, it came down to color/style (I had to get what I liked and wouldn't settle for less), how it fit me and price.

The only color I liked for the Heritage for the 2011 models was the Apple Green/Vivid Black but it was impossible for me to find or get one when I was looking; I also was not a big fan of having to polish all that chrome. Another check in the "Cons" collumn for the Heritage was that I did not like how the handlebars felt (little did I know I would change those out) and I did not like the skinnier rear tire. The final straw was the $2k extra it would have cost me to get it.

The Fat Boy Lo checked ALL of my boxes. I loved the Brilliant Silver Pearl; it was different than all of the other Lo's out there and has a nostalgic feel to me for some reason (the new Fat Boy with the silver/black 2-tone looks amazing as well) and the satin chrome and dark look was pretty attractive. The original bars that were on it were a good fit for me (again, didn't have any plans on changing them at the time) and, even though I am 6', I preferred the lower stance of the Fat Boy Lo. And finally the price; I got mine out the door, brand new, for right at $15k. That's Dyna money for a bigger cruiser (I seriously considered the Wide Glide as well though).

And here in about a month I will be changing more on it... Go figure. I now realise that if I bought a Heritage, I would have maybe changed the bars and that would have been it. So in the long run, it would have definitely been cheaper (especially since I eventually plan on getting Springer bags and lower exhaust ~ $1,600). Knowing what I know now about the additional $$$$ I am putting into the Lo, do I wish I would have went with the Heritage. Hell no. I see Heritages ALL OVER the road. I have NEVER seen another silver Lo on the road. Has anyone else seen one in the wild? And by the time I am done with it (at least for this year), there will likely not be another one like it, anywhere. Just sayin'

Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Triple M
When I decided to buy a Harley I went to the dealership liking the Fatboy Lo but left with a Heritage Classic. I loved the denim look of the Lo but after evaluating both bikes I thought..........................Chrome never goes out of style..
I will say you made yourself a damn fine choice. That red is killer! If they would have had that one when I was looking for a bike, the choice might have been a much harder one to make.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My first Harley was this 2002 Fatboy.... I like my bikes long, lean, and narrow.....

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Classic vs fatboy-2002-fatboy1.jpg   Heritage Classic vs fatboy-2002-fatboy.jpg  

Last edited by Jaburg1; 03-09-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic vs fatboy