Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urethane Riser Bushings and Silicone Grease

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts
Default Urethane Riser Bushings and Silicone Grease

Wondering if I'm the only one that puts a thing layer of silicone grease on their urethane riser bushings. Kind of funny I had couple bros stop by for a brew and started goofing on me as I installed the bushings with grease. I just grinned, been doing that for years.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never used grease on the bushings. I don't do a lot of stuff that isn't needed.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM
TRUSTNOBODY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grease will get on the trees once the sun gets hot and bakes for a couple hours. U need no grease buddy

Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Thats correct, you dont have to put a silicone grease on the bushings. I guess the concept reserved for only a few. And by all means, you dont glob the grease on, you apply a very very very thin layer. Urethane will develop squeaks and the silicone grease will stop it. Next question would be how many of you have enough sense to apply a thin layer of dielectric grease to any electric connection you disconnect before reconnecting, most importantly the grounds? To me it's all about going that extra few minutes to do it better than the last guy.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have never thought of using grease on the bushings, never had one squeak so never needed to find a cure for a problem I didn't have.
But any electrical connections ALWAYS get some dielectric grease on any vehicle.
I have seen far too many problems with electrical connections that could have been easily avoided by properly protecting them with a little extra effort.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:45 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by citoriplus
i have never thought of using grease on the bushings, never had one squeak so never needed to find a cure for a problem i didn't have.
But any electrical connections always get some dielectric grease on any vehicle.
I have seen far too many problems with electrical connections that could have been easily avoided by properly protecting them with a little extra effort.
FWIW...used to use silicone grease (very light coating) on car bushings when they squeeked. Never have had the need on my riser bushings for the HD. I aree with the dielectic grease on all eletrical connections. Keep a big tube on hand to use every time I open an electrical connection. Cheap insurance...

Last edited by WFA; 03-09-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i just bought a camaro that had all new urethane bushings installed. it sounds like a entire basketball team running across the court with wet shoes.. i am going to need to take it apart and grease everything up.. you really don't need it on riser bushings, they don't twist..it wont hurt anything though..

Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
i just bought a camaro that had all new urethane bushings installed. it sounds like a entire basketball team running across the court with wet shoes.. i am going to need to take it apart and grease everything up.. you really don't need it on riser bushings, they don't twist..it wont hurt anything though..
Before you bust you butt taking things apart, see if you can find some "Super Lube" or "Tri-Flow" with Teflon.
I have used them both on squeaky car/truck bushings.
Lots easier than pulling things apart and maybe having to realign the front end.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:29 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Powdered graphite!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Powdered graphite!
Now that works great too!