Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help! (conversion from efi to carb 103" m.y.2012)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012 | 11:41 AM
zworld
Tourer

I don't get it either, why are you doing that to a brand new bike? Easier to work on? Why would you need to, jeez it's new! See, trying to fix something that wasn't broke. I'll never understand some of the knuckleheads on here. But hey you are cheap entertainment. lol Keep it up

Old 03-09-2012 | 12:30 PM
mauro71
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by poppavein
Mauro, are Italian emission laws easier than in the rest of Europe? I'd be surprised if they would allow this in Germany, for example.
in Italy there are the same laws of Germany, but also in GMBH there are many new bikes with carb.

Old 03-09-2012 | 12:58 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by zworld
I don't get it either, why are you doing that to a brand new bike? Easier to work on? Why would you need to, jeez it's new! See, trying to fix something that wasn't broke. I'll never understand some of the knuckleheads on here. But hey you are cheap entertainment. lol Keep it up

Different worlds dude...some don't need EFI, ABS, FBW, etc...first rule of design, K.I.S.S., Keep It Simple Stupid.

Old 03-09-2012 | 02:51 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Yeah !! Ha ha !!! No way !! I love my carbureted bike. But no way I'd convert a new one. I could see it I got the screamin deal on a 99 or something that had the MM syst, converting it.
But wow !!! Talk about a can of worms !!!
And non emissions compliant (Scary for a 2012) No resale value.
Shudda bought an old one !!!!!

Old 03-09-2012 | 03:58 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
And non emissions compliant (Scary for a 2012) No resale value.
Shudda bought an old one !!!!!
Non emission compliant bikes bring a premium.
Harley shoulda kept building old ones, they meet emissions.

Old 03-09-2012 | 06:07 PM
str8jacket
Tourer

Just doing a stage with EFI makes it 'non emissions compliant' once you re-map or use a custom controller. Getting rid of the cats probably makes them non emissions compliant as well. A lot of people have a lot of engine mods done on brand new bikes that make them a far cry from 'emissions compliant', but as long as they don't change to a carburetor, nobody bashes them or calls them "knuckleheads".

As far as it decreasing the value of the bike down the road, if I'm buying a 4-5 year old bike I'd rather have a carburetor than deal with 4-5 year old EFI components that any one of them can fail at any time. If a bike is ridden close to an ocean regularly, component failure at some point down the road becomes even more likely. Salt air plays hell with electronic components.

Old 03-09-2012 | 09:34 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Don't get me wrong.
I prefer carb too. And cables, and no ECM.
Just wouldn't do it to a 2012.
I could not care less if my bike was emissions compliant.
I do agree with the evap system. Fuel vapor recovery IS important.
My tank still vents into the canister. At least HD did a good job hidin'
the canister on the Softail.
The crankcase vents into the atmosphere right now. Just has a road
draft tube. I may pipe it back into the air cleaner.

Old 03-10-2012 | 06:22 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member

Anybody who prefers a carburetor has absolutely NO idea just how much further you can fine tune EFI.
If you think you can turn a screw, but can not learn a lap top, then I understand the love for the prehistoric, but give yourself a chance to learn something new.

Old 03-10-2012 | 09:48 AM
the blob
Road Warrior

Man times are a changing. No body wants to change
And customize bikes any more, unless it goes to the shop
Or dealer. Just 10 years ago most people would of done
This kind of stuff on there own and it would of been
Cool and people would of helped out more. Now it seems
Like people just judge and complain.

Old 03-10-2012 | 09:58 AM
str8jacket
Tourer

Originally Posted by George C
Anybody who prefers a carburetor has absolutely NO idea just how much further you can fine tune EFI.
If you think you can turn a screw, but can not learn a lap top, then I understand the love for the prehistoric, but give yourself a chance to learn something new.
Seriously? Anybody who prefers a carb "has absolutely NO idea"? So your saying that anybody who prefers a carb is just a fuktard who doesn't know their *** from a hole in the ground? I prefer carbs, so you are saying that I "have no idea". And you are an all knowing expert right? You are SO MUCH MORE knowledgeable than any idiot who would be stupid enough to prefer a carburetor over EFI right?

Just out of curiosity, how many years have you been building engines?

Don't hurt yourself falling off that high horse. Does it make you dizzy when the world revolves around you?

Last edited by str8jacket; 03-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: I need help! (conversion from efi to carb 103" m.y.2012)