Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Slipon comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
RickyD51
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Slipon comparison

I have an '07 FLSTC and looking to put on a set of Vance & Hines slip-ons. If I get a performance bump, great, but mostly looking for a little more sound and appearance. Teetering between the "Straight Shot HS" and "Twin Slash Round". Can't get any info out of V&H on the products. Their web page talks about performance from the HS, and a deeper throatier sound from the Slash.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Faceless
Cruiser

I bought the strait shots for my Deluxe, these pipes are loud with the baffles, everyone I ride with has told me how good my bike sounds. I added a screaming eagle stage 1 intake & cheeped out & got the dealer map download, never had the bike dyno tuned so cant document an improvement but have noticed about a 20% increase in top end speed & excell.
The only thing I dont like is the look of the pipes, having a 18,000 dollar bike with these slipons just to me looks wrong so I'm switching to VH long shots shortly.
Bottom line is if you want a inexpensive upgrade in performance & sound over stock pipes the strait shot slipons are the way to go.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM
D94
Advanced

I have the hs straight shots slip ons on my 2011 flstc. Also have a stage 1 a/c kit and fuelpak. I love the way the bike sounds, can't beat it for the price. Since I did some other stuff like bars and cables, may want to go to a v&h dual setup, but no hurry. The bike runs and sounds awesome. All depends on what you want.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM
RickyD51
Stage III

Thanks for the inputs, that's the type of feedback I was looking for. I was hoping to also hear from someone who has the Twin Slash slip-ons to get a read on them, but sounds like straight shots would be a good option.

I have the FuelPak and just ordered the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage II a/c. Even with the FuelPak, my dealers mechanic recommended having it dyno'd once I get everything installed.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Suidae
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the twin slash rounds, and they sound pretty good. With the stage I kit. I haven't had it dyno'd, but I can feel an improvement over stock acceleration.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Running the VH big radius 2 into 2 on my fatty. Come from the factory like that, nice sound but I dont care for them for the simple fact they blow the dirt all over. I'll be changing them eventually to the staggered big shots.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyD51
Thanks for the inputs, that's the type of feedback I was looking for. I was hoping to also hear from someone who has the Twin Slash slip-ons to get a read on them, but sounds like straight shots would be a good option.

I have the FuelPak and just ordered the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage II a/c. Even with the FuelPak, my dealers mechanic recommended having it dyno'd once I get everything installed.
The only motivation I can think of (other than $) for your dealer to dyno it with a FuelPak is to see what kind of power and torque you're making. They're not going to change any of the FP settings. It is what it is. If there's info you need from V&H, send them an email. They have always been very responsive to me.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 PM
RickyD51
Stage III

Thanks for the inputs everybody. I decided to go with the Twin Slash slip-ons (standard baffle) and they look great to me, sound good too. I do get some popping on decel, but not too bad. With the FuelPak, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and the exhaust on it sounds and runs better (wish I'd pulled the trigger and done this sooner). Only concern now is it's a tad loud. I ride everyday leaving at 5am, and I don't want to anger the neighbors. Looking at a set of Hard Kore quiet baffles to take it down a few db (meter reads 90-94db from 5ft when idling).