Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If You Were Looking For A Used Deuce .... ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Kong
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If You Were Looking For A Used Deuce .... ?

If you were looking for a used Softail Deuce what would you be on the lookout for? I ask because I am.

I've been looking for a used (meaning affordable for me) Deuce. Some things about it I already know; it will have been made somewhere between 2001 and 2005 and no other model is of interest. Although I expect to buy one with low milage (just because there are so many low-milage used bikes available) there must be things pecular to the model to look for or others tolook out for, modifications that are great for the bike and modifications which are the kiss of death.

So what would be on your checklist of good things to look for and bad things to look out for on a used Deuce?

Old 12-21-2006, 06:26 PM
voodoo93
Road Warrior
Default RE: If You Were Looking For A Used Deuce .... ?

Sorry - can't think of anything that would be bad for a Deuce short of just someone getting out of control

Goods that will save you money is having the basic upgrades (Stage 1, re-jet/re-map, exhaust)

After that there is internals you could look for - cosmetics (chrome, bars, lowering, seats, etc...)

Bottom line, regardless of what you ultimately end up with in options, you can't go wrong with your chosen model!!!

Old 12-21-2006, 06:37 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I would contact Paulsby35. He posted this a little more than a week ago.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1046051/tm.htm

BTW, love my Deuce. Some people say there are less things you can do with it because some parts aren't available for it. I feel it's unique as it is and I've found plenty of things to make mine mine. I don't want to just slap on the same parts everyone else does.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me personally..............
I was not really looking for a Deuce when I bought mine, but, for me, I would look for a fuel injected model.

and depending on your price range, maybe an '04Screamin' EagleDeuce?[8D]

Old 12-21-2006, 07:21 PM
WidowDeuce
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There really is nothing I can think of to look out for. Some people will swear by carb while others love their fuel injected. Only you can decide which one you want. There are pros and cons to both which you may already know or you can ask around and talk to the guys that have or have ridden both. Other than that I would say get the one with the most goodies so you can save so money. You can always change the stuff you don't like but it is a start.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Kong
Advanced

If I can comment further:

I actually posted to that thread that Paulsby35 started. His question seemed to me to be centered around how much his bike was worth rather than mechanical or marketing concerns a potential buyer might have. I can tell you how price questions work out for me, and maybe a number of other fellows too.

Basically I'll have to finance part of the cost of the bike. My credit union will go 100% of the NADA retail value of the bike even if I didn't put down a dime. My thinking is 'why would I ever pay more for a bike than my financer would be willing to pony up to?' Even if with my contribution the amount financed might only be a half to two thirds of the total price I can't think of any reason that I'd pay more than the book says. I also have a feeling about after market goodies somebody else had added to the bike that might not go over very well with many sellers- they simply aren't worth as much to me as they were to him, in fact they have about the same value for me as they did for NADA - which is to say they add little to no value to the bike at all. Performance modifications that required the use of wrench are tricky. Pipes and airclearners don't bother me, in fact there are a very few I might actually pay a little extra for, but if motor modifications much deeper than that were done by anyone other than a dealer (still under warranty)I strart to get antsy, and that means I'm not willing to pay as much.

Needless to say any bike that want's to bring full NADA price has to at least look like its never tipped over. Chips and dents are a no-no and stone-bruises aren't much appriciated when its my wallet that has to do the hard work.

So that's how I see price issues. I have a note-pad I carry around with me that I jot down notes about different bikes I've looked at. It helps me keep track of who's asking how much for what and what I thought of it. The booklet begins with a matrix I put together that has five columns. The first shows the years from 2000 -2006, the next four show the Kelly Blue Book Average-trade-in and Average-retail values, they are followed by columns forthe NADA Low-retail and Average-retail prices. As I said, the highest cost I am willing to entertain is the NADA Average-retail, and my target price for any bike I like is somewhere between all four numbers for that particular year.

I'm not trying to sound like its all by formula of course. Some bikes just cry out that they are worth their weight in gold, some - unfortunately - sing another song. Every one has to be looked at for what it is and what sort of life it has seen so far, of course. I'm not trying to screw some poor guy out of his hard earned bike, but at the same time the banks use those price guidelines for a reason and I'd be a fool not to pay some attention to them as well.

Actually my question was really aimed at what sort of mechanical adventures could I avoid if I just take a real hard look first. I"ve already been warned about looking at the tensioner for the primary chain, but that's been about it so far.

As always; all comments appriciated and I don't mind being corrected in public when I get something dead wrong.

Thom (Kong)

Old 12-22-2006, 11:11 AM
WaterHog
Road Captain

If you can pick-up a SE Deuce go for it, since there are a few Deuce out there and a fewer SE also if you land on a bike you can ask the dealer for the service record, they should be able to find it using the VIN.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:48 PM
gbagwell
Novice

When buying anything used, I look at the seller as much as what I am buyin. I once bought a car from a guy that showed up to meet me in pajama bottoms and a t shirt coming from class (college student). He was a total slob and so was the car.

I wasbuying the car as a project and went thru with the deal despite my better judgement, plus I had driven 9 hours to pick it up and didn't want the trip to be a waste. Needless to say, the car was misrepresented even for a project. I paid way too much for that valuable lesson.

I picked up my first Harley (04 Deuce FI) over Thanksgiving weekend from a dealership. Couldn't even test drive it because I just have a learners permit. It is a good dealership with a good local reputation. I paid a fair price and got a great bike. Good luck with your search.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:25 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would be careful buying a used deuce with crazy low miles. there are hundreds of the stock (take off)speedometers on ebay with 500 or less miles on them selling for 10-20 bucks.its way to easy to swap the speedo and erase the miles.......there are scam artist everywhere!