Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage Rack question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012 | 05:19 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Detachable rack with sissy bar, roll bag on seat, Kuryakyn bag on rack. I made an extension for the rack to support the entire bottom of the bag for this trip (cross country 21 days), but have done long trips with this bag and the stock rack without issue.

Old 03-03-2012 | 05:32 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Here's a shot of the rack without all my crap on it.

Old 03-03-2012 | 07:11 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the detachable solo rack, but I don't care for the looks of the docking hardware when the rack is removed. I suppose if you have a chrome rig, it would be less obvious (that's not the docking h/w in my sig pic).

Old 03-03-2012 | 08:46 PM
MrShifty
|
Cruiser

Man thanks for all the feedback. The pics really do help with putting a general idea of what to expect.

Toonz, I thank you for your service too brother. It was one of our birds that was shot down last August. I plan on visiting each of the crew members' final resting sites when I get back.

Old 03-03-2012 | 09:00 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
I like the detachable solo rack, but I don't care for the looks of the docking hardware when the rack is removed. I suppose if you have a chrome rig, it would be less obvious (that's not the docking h/w in my sig
I use the HD black magnetic caps to cover the docking hardware. Makes it look black on black.

Old 03-03-2012 | 10:49 PM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MrShifty
Hey ya'll, so when I get home from this deployment, a few of us are planning on riding out to Arlington to see our fallen brothers. I've looked at two racks from HD that I liked. There's the bobtail fender rack and the detachable solo rack. I don't have a sissy bar (yet) since my wife doesn't plan on riding with me. So if you have one of these, I'd definitely appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
I live about 30 minutes west of Arlington and would like to guide you and and your buddies there, I can take you down town DC to see the wall and other places afterwards. When do you get back from deployment? I'm also deployed and if we can schedule it, would love to meet up with you when your in my neck of the woods.

Old 03-03-2012 | 11:24 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

I wasn't originally interested in getting a sissy bar/luggage rack combo. Then the wife said she wouldn't ride the bike if I didn't get one. So I did and it's been so much handier then I ever would have thought. I commute every day to work and it's handy to strap stuff to, especially stuff like a duffle bag full of PT gear. My truck sits in the driveway most of the time. Say hi to our brothers in Arlington for me. I have a lot of good friends buried there too.

Old 03-04-2012 | 03:55 AM
MrShifty
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Joker_Hal
I live about 30 minutes west of Arlington and would like to guide you and and your buddies there, I can take you down town DC to see the wall and other places afterwards. When do you get back from deployment? I'm also deployed and if we can schedule it, would love to meet up with you when your in my neck of the woods.
Man that would be awesome. We actually only have a couple of days left. There isn't a set date yet. Everyone is kinda wanting to get home and unwind before we make set plans.

Old 03-04-2012 | 07:47 AM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain

Unfortunately I won't be getting out of here until mid June. I hope you a safe flight home and a good ride out to DC. While there, make sure you visit the tomb of the unknown soldier. The changing of the guard is something you have to see.

Last edited by Joker_Hal; 03-04-2012 at 07:54 AM.