Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back on a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:13 PM
arodgers
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back on a Harley

I sold my '07 Dyna about 3 years ago and I've missed it ever since. Yesterday I picked up a 2000 Night Train with 15,000 miles on it and it's good to be back on a bike. There are a few minor problems with it I need some help with.

1. No front turn signals. No idea how I overlooked that. Anyone have the wire colors coming from the handlebars so I can get them replaced? Found someone local on Craigslist with a set.

2. Looking at the fuse panel, there is no fuse for "Battery". The bike will start and run, but the battery (was told it's new) does seem to drain fast. Had to put it on a battery tender twice now because it drained on me. Not sure if this fuse has anything to do with it, or if it's needed.

3. I know I just need to get used to being on a carbureted bike, but man this thing can be a pain. It has the "hard hot start" issue I've been reading about, and it can be difficult to get it to idle when cold also. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but anyone have any tricks?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:30 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

The signal wires are Brown for one side purple for the other and black is the ground. Not sure which side is which will check when I get home. The plugs should be under the plastic panel at the front of the tank on the bike. One on each side. Most people pull the turn signals off and disconnect the plugs. Hopefully they didn't cut the wires and you can tell what color is for each side..

There is a Maxi fuse that is large and orange by the fuse panel that will cut power to the whole bike. Should be in a plastic case about 1 1/2" square. You might want to disconnect the postive lead on the battery and put a 12 volt test light between the post and the battery cable. If the tester lights up you have a short, start pulling fuses one at a time to isolate the bad circuit.

Might want to rebuild the carb to help solve the idle problem, with that low of milage and being 12 years old it has probably sat a lot. Hope this helps and if I am mistaken about part of this someone chime in and correct me.

Last edited by MCSarge; 03-01-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
arodgers
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I'll start chasing wires and look into carb rebuild kits.

Any idea if the spot labeled "Battery" on the fuse panel is actually supposed to have a fuse in it?