Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer told me dont buy a PowerCommander...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012 | 01:13 PM
2003Custom1200
|
Tourer
Default dealer told me dont buy a PowerCommander...

So tomorrow i pick up my 2007 Deuce, been looking at pipes, intakes, back rests, efi programers..

today i was in town stoped at the local harley shop, to ask about a backrest, found the one i wanted and the price...

then asked about a Screamin Eagle intake, looked it up gave me a price, then asked what other mods do i have done, told him its stock for now, gonna add the intake pipes, then a powerCommander... and he stopped and told me DONT, your just gonna blow it up, and fry the computer.

said they have 6 computers out right now, becasue its documented that the PowerCommander fried the ECU.

Said the Power Commander just sends false signals and doesnt actually use any sensors so no matter what you do its never going to be properly tuned. Said one day you will be riding, you will develop a miss, the computer will go into default mode so u can limp it home and hopefully not blow it up. Said could be 6 months could be 6 years but it WILL happen...

So here is what you need, tried to sell me the screamin eagle EFI tuner, said its the only proper way to actually remap ur computer safely. But its $450, and we have to tune it for you we have the cables and software to do it. Said then we take it out for a few rides to tune it adn we can get it about 90-95% dialed in. Said this way is better than a dyno tune. the Dyno tune goes thru your whole power band, and tuning it to how its gonna be drove is way more accurate.

So my question is, which is the best way to do this, i understand he is a parts guy, probaly makes money off commission.

I have had issues with this dealer in the past but lately they have been decent. Never dealt with this parts guy before. And once he said a dyno tune is worthless well....i knew he was full of ****, but how much **** i do not know. Only reason they do not dyno tune is becuase they do not have a dyno...

So what are your guys thoughts.

And does the Screamin eagle come with all the cables adn software to do it, or is it a dealer only thing?

Old 03-01-2012 | 01:38 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

The directions in the PCV actually tell you to remove the O2 sensors from the exhaust and get plugs to close them up.. I emailed DynoJet about that and they said you could run the O2 sensors just fine.. yes, it's a piggyback system that intercepts the ECM's signals to the fuel injectors and all that, and replaces them with its own. No, it won't fry the computer unless for some odd reason it's programmed wrong.. I haven't had an issue with my PCV in using it for 2 years now.. a buddy of mine has a 2004 or 2003 FLSTFI with a PCIII and hasn't had a single issue with it.. if the parts guy is telling you a Dyno tune is worthless, and more importantly a proper tuning/mapping of a PCV is worthless.. i'd stop using his recommendations for parts. HD dealers sell HD parts and that's the bottom line..

Old 03-01-2012 | 01:39 PM
Clayvis
Road Master

Find another dealer! I've had a Power Commander for 5 years without a single problem. I had it dyno tuned, and it runs like a champ. Just put a PC V (five) on my wife's 2011 Deluxe. Bought it from Fuel Moto for $299. They mapped it according to the other mods. prior to shipping. Bike runs fantastic. It is a simple plug and play install. Don't listen to $tealer B.S.

Old 03-01-2012 | 01:40 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

To test that theory.. go back and don't mention PowerCommanders.. instead be like "Well I was thinking about a Cobra FI2000 or a V&H FuelPak" and see if he says the same damn thing

Old 03-01-2012 | 01:54 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

Running the same Power commander on my 03 since 2004..... No fried ECM here.....

Dealer wants to sell you Harley parts... Most of them don't want to learn the aftermarket stuff..

Old 03-01-2012 | 02:04 PM
2003Custom1200
|
Tourer

Thats what i figured. I usually deal with the other dealer around when i want parts, and way easier to work with, o and wait they actually have a Dyno in their shop to tune.

Actually emailed fuel moto the other day about there powercommander, which is a PC with there sticker on it basically... gotta get the bike home, and figure out what to do with pipes for intake, maybe ill snag a deal saturday at the swap meet

Old 03-01-2012 | 02:05 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

IMO most of the guys working at the dealerships don't know WTF they are talking about. There are some exceptions, and some dealers are better than others.

Old 03-01-2012 | 02:19 PM
jakazz
Road Captain

I have gone through 3 pc 3's.....Only real issue is the fuel inj relay issue they have.

What ends up happening is the relay shuts off...doesnt hold after the prime and cuts 5 v power to the commander. Then it just wont start. Easy work around is a power from tailites into the 5 volt dongle and your good to go.

That was my issue with 2 and 3.

heres a vid clip of the issue, watch the leds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuiCmOCOy5E

My first pc3 the potting (the rubber crap on the back that keeps the water out) failed and shorted the internals. This is when they first came out, probably just got one that didnt get cleaned all the way during before the potting process.

Other than that they work fine, lots of dyno guys like them and produce fine results with them.

My personel choice if I blow this up or the economy gets better and have extra cash would be the mastertune TTS system. Probably one of the best systems out there with a great deal of info about them over on harley tech talk forum.

Last edited by jakazz; 03-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2012 | 02:33 PM
DocTkd
Cruiser

I have an 07 Softail Custom with the SERT, the cables and DVD come with the set. The dealer can reprogram the ECU or if you are up to it you can program it yourself.

Old 03-01-2012 | 02:54 PM
2003Custom1200
|
Tourer

The new sert doesn't seem to come with the cables or dvd. From what I looked into. Still don't know which route ill go. Probably the pc3

Quick Reply: dealer told me dont buy a PowerCommander...