Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer told me dont buy a PowerCommander...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012 | 02:58 PM
jakazz
Road Captain

The best thing to do is find a "good" tuner in your area. Then ask them what they prefer to tune. Thats how you will get the best tune on your bike. Most steelerships dont have good tuners. Get the guys who tune everyday. Check over at HTT and ask them if they know anyone in your area. Those guys do it for a living over there and wont steer you wrong.

Old 03-01-2012 | 03:23 PM
CB1
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2003Custom1200
The new sert doesn't seem to come with the cables or dvd. From what I looked into. Still don't know which route ill go. Probably the pc3
You have to buy the cable and the sofware seperately. You can tune it without a dyno by riding it and then plugging it back in to make adjustments. Supposed to be able to dial it in pretty close. I don't have one but a buddy bought one and is learning how to use it. Sounds like the parts guy is trying to make commision to me.

Old 03-01-2012 | 03:32 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

A power commander is a good unit but it is a piggy back system. I have one.
If I was going to do it all over again I would still buy tge same thing. They have the quick switch for switching from one tune to another. Great for having 1 lean tune for highway fuel economy,and another for *** ripping power.
Tts makes a great product too. Just don't waste your money on a fuel pak. Total junk

Old 03-01-2012 | 04:01 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2003Custom1200
The new sert doesn't seem to come with the cables or dvd. From what I looked into. Still don't know which route ill go. Probably the pc3
If you are going to go Power Commander get the PCV .It is quite a bit smaller and easier to get it to fit where you need to. You will Thank yourself in the end.

Old 03-01-2012 | 04:03 PM
liquidr1
Road Master

The dealer will tell you anything to get you to buy their product instead of a competitors. Iv had 4 motorcycle since i was 17 and ran power commanders for 80K + miles with them on every bike ive owned. Not one problem. They do what they are supposed to do.

Old 03-01-2012 | 04:06 PM
liquidr1
Road Master

Actually go back and ask them about the Power Vision. If they tell you the power vision fries ECU's then i would never go back to that dealer again.

Old 03-01-2012 | 06:14 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Do I like the PC,? well not for me, but there's thousands of members in here that do like and have them.

Has there been failures with the PC, Yes, U've been a member of this forum for 5ys, U should have read that in here a number of times, I have. But I can't remember ever where a PC111 or newer one fry a ECM, usually the PC unit just dies.

If all Ur doing is pipes and A/C, then U can just get a download.

As far as putting in a SESPT or SERT and NOT dyno it, Well, IMO its a waste of money.

Saying that they can tune the SERT without a dyno and they can tune U bike BETTER than if they have a dyno to tune one, WELL, I'd Call BS on that and I'D for sure wouldn't let them TOUCH my bike....

It is true the PC is a piggyback unit and here's how they work

http://fuelmotousa.com/faq.htm

Look through this one also.
http://www.hardracing.com/powercommand.htm

These one explains it good also.
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc..._and_more.aspx

The SESPT or SERT does not come with the cables, but U can buy them. Used to be around $30, now I don't know what they cost..

U dealer by not having a dyno machine is just trying to sell the SERTs which IMO is one of the best tuners, but If they can't dyno it I would not but one from them.

I'd go to another dealer who sells, installs and dyno tunes with them.

Last edited by oct1949; 03-01-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2012 | 06:24 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain

Call Jamie at Fuel Moto and get a power vision. With access to Jamies maps you will be good to go for just about anything. I did a fuelpak thinking i would be happy with just pipes and an air cleaner. Then did cams and a pc3 and it was good but the tune never seemed perfect. I know a custom tune would have helped but couldnt find anyone close i wanted to tune it.

Then came the power vision tuned by Jamie. Its only riden it once but the low end- mid range pull is so much better than it ever was before. It starts better and the idle is a little lower. Plus there is no piggyback module to go inbetween the computer and harness. Im my opinion this gives you less place for possible failure as the stock computer is plugged into the stock harness. Not a big bunch of wires runnig to a module way down infront of the rear tire.

Old 03-01-2012 | 06:28 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

If you buy the HD version, and you ever decide to go back and do cams or any engine work, you will have to pay for it again.
The pcIII and pcV can be re-programmed.

Since I'm happy with the stock engine setup, I used the HD version last go around.

Old 03-01-2012 | 06:37 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by imboden
If you buy the HD version, and you ever decide to go back and do cams or any engine work, you will have to pay for it again.
The pcIII and pcV can be re-programmed.

Since I'm happy with the stock engine setup, I used the HD version last go around.

Where did U learn or get that idea from.?
U will probably need another DYNO but U don't have to pay for another SERT and they also can be reprogramed.

And there are a lot of members in here that also Have their PC111 or PCV dyno tuned..

Son and I have had 4 different bikes in the last 5yrs and all 4 of them we installed SERTs and Love them,

To save Money the secret is to do the pipes, A/c, cams at the same time then U only need 1 dyno.

Quick Reply: dealer told me dont buy a PowerCommander...