Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Wiring Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012 | 10:06 PM
HKC01
|
2nd Gear
Default Softail Wiring Help Needed

Hi all!

I'm wondering if anyone can help.....

I've re-wired my friend's '86 Heritage. She had been abused and neglected for a long time before he got a hold of her.

When he brought her to my garage, she wouldn't start or even try to turn over. There were no electrical signs whatsoever!

I've removed and repaired tons of splices, unsoldered joints and corroded electrical. I've also installed a new ignition switch, new coil, new solenoid, new ignition module and 30 amp main fuse.

When preparing to fire her up, we dropped in the battery and she tried to turn over as soon as we touched the neg cable to it's post.

I assumed I had crossed something at the ignition switch but upon further investigation, the bike still tries to turn over without turning the switch on or puching the start button on the right handle bar. Anyone have any ideas???

I've tried to find a wiring diagram on-line for an '86 FLST but I'm not having much luck. If anyone can help with either a full color diagram or troubleshooting ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
HKC

Old 02-27-2012 | 10:23 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

If the 86 is still original, it still has a 4 speed type starter on it...they are finicky to say the least. Remove the main battery wire from the solenoid to trouble shoot...but leave it connected to the small wire on the same terminal....hook them together with a bolt and tape up... Now you can hook up the battery and see if the handlebar switch is working with a meter. If it is working correctly, the solenoid may have welded contacts or the arm inside the primary that operates the bendix may be bent.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 02-27-2012 at 10:37 PM.