Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Solo Spring Seat.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:16 AM
rayflo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Solo Spring Seat.

Just ordered my Solo Spring seat

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150766188142...=p5197.c0.m619

Now, my question is do i need a seat pan? or Pancover? whatever you call em. Basically with the "kit" shown they said it fits right on with no extra needed parts. However if i remove my current seat and install this, all the guts are showing (ECM, FuelPak, wires, batt etc etc..) ive seen some solo springs of softails that have that part covered by said "pancover" stated above. and wondering where i can get one for a 2011 softail. any insight?? Thanks

Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice seat. Looking at the add I didn't see anything about a frame cover. It says that everything is included to install the seat but that just means you can get the seat on the bike and ride. As for where could you get a seat pan? Well that is a tough one because it has to be something that fits over your bikes frame AND accommodates the installation of the sprung seat. With Harley's seats, they design everything together including the seat pans which are molded to fit all the components of the seat and the bike. With these aftermarket seats, you sort of have to find something that matches the seat's hardware and that can be hit or miss. Unless you can find someone who makes a seat pan that works with a seat system that is similar if not identical to the one you have. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
rayflo
Intermediate

Skeez, thanks for the input, i don't mind riding without a framecover, but dunno how the guts will react to the elements or water. I figured the bike gets wet since i ride in whatever weather and wash it so i doubt it. Is the framecover for looks only or does it protect anything.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
SIZZZL
Stage III

Ray,
For my bike, I bought the seat and fender kit from Roland Sands/Performance Machine. It too comes with no answers for the same issue. I purchased a shorter battery, and simply have the ECM sitting on top of the battery, separated by a leather pad i fabricated. It has worked fine for over a year. If u did something similar to what I did, you could fabricate a cover to hide everything, using the frame rails to mount the cover. Good Luck

Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM
streetg131
Tourer

I've been running a sprung solo seat on my softail for upwards of 20 yrs. There is a chrome cover I used to run to cover my battery and such under the seat.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/800-045

There's one from JP, They have other too

Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Trickslim12
Cruiser

Good lookin kit...you better get some pics up as soon as tht bad boy is on!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Smokey Burnouts
Road Captain

Prolly the stock cover and hardware from a xbones would be your best bet. Is ur ecm mounted on the fender?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got done with that as part of my mods...I went with the RSD seat pan and battery cover. I had to relocate my ECM behind the oil tank I tried the smaller battery route like SIZZL but I couldn't get one that would crank the bike to start. Shadetree Fabrications makes a battery cover that allows you to use the stock battery and mount the ECM on top of it. Not to high jack your thread but I would like to know what battery SIZZL used...if you can do the shorter battery way it's much easier..good luck with the mods...they call them that for a reason....nothing goes as planned.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The LaRosa is a terrible kit I am afraid to say..

The Larosa Seat failing experiment

But I finally went with much better companies on Ebay like Sinister Seat and MOtherRoad Customs.

Installing Solo Spring Seat on 01 FXST.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM
SIZZZL
Stage III

Here is the battery I have-YUASA YTX15L-BS MAINTANCE FREE BATTERY. As mentioned by someone else here, this battery does not have quite the crank of the factory battery. HOWEVER- I know this and take care of the battery and do not run anything (L E D's) when the bike is not running. It has never failed me. This shorter battery allowed me to take the ECM and rotate it, so that it lays flat on top of the battery and allows the seat to fit correctly. I was concerned with locating the ECM behind the oil tank as some have suggested because of the heat. I dont wanna add the cost of a fried ECM to this project.

Quick Reply: Softail Solo Spring Seat.