Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Classic Owners...A ? for ya.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012 | 09:10 AM
Doug S
|
Road Master
Default Springer Classic Owners...A ? for ya.

Well, my last daughter is graduating college soon, so for the cost of a semester I can get another bike and it's going to be a springer. The Classic can be had fairly reasonable and a late model/low mileage one should be pretty reliable for the longer trips I have planned..

The forks are black, is that paint or powdercoating and how does it stand up to chipping from road grit...? (wish they were chrome)

Any thing else you can tell me, good or bad, would be helpful.

Thanks
Doug

Old 02-26-2012 | 09:19 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

My brother just picked up a 2006 heritage springer classic. He traded in his dyna which surprised me. He fell in love with it and had to have it. It has the black forks but I think they have been powder coated, the paint seems to be holding up well. The PO also blacked out some of the chrome on the engine and I can see where some of that has rubbed off.

I was surprised how well the bike handled. Has a great ride and also corners pretty well. I think you will be happy with it.

Old 02-26-2012 | 10:31 AM
ckal704
Advanced

I just bought a used one with 4k on the ticker. Black forks are blemish free.

Old 02-26-2012 | 10:45 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

I'm sure the black will hold up just fine.

That said, you got to do what you got to do. I never understood why someone would buy what they do not want. If you want a springer with a chrome front end, look for a '97-'99 (evo) or '00-'03 (TC88b) Heritage Springer Softail. They all have chrome forks. Unless you were getting an '07 with the 96b and the six speed, there are absolutely no potential pluses to getting a Springer Classic over a Heritage Springer, unless you WANT a black front end.

Right now you do not have what you want, it is costing you nothing not to own a bike that you do not have. I know, I know, "it is a good deal." Settling for something that is cheap, but not exactly what you want is not a bargain. These bikes are not pacemakers that you have to have - right now! If you want the chrome front end (and I understand why you do, they look the best in my opinion too), keep looking for what you want.

The deals are out there. I looked for a long time to get exactly what I wanted. I hope you (and everyone else) will too. Get your dream, man. It's a Harley, the stuff of dreams.

Last edited by SprungDave; 02-26-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2012 | 12:06 PM
Vikingur
Tourer

Believe the forks are PCd. No blems on mine - look great. I agree with Dave, though, and I am glad I have the 96 and the 6-speed. I also have black paint, so the black forks look good. Chrome would look better with any other color IMO.

Old 02-26-2012 | 02:37 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

Plenty of low mileage chrome front end Heritage Springers out there.....

Old 02-27-2012 | 06:48 AM
Doug S
|
Road Master

Thanks for the replies,

I'm torn between getting something fairly new with a 6 speed and a Heritage Springer that will start off being 10+ years old. Also, I have not been able to find a decent deal on a Heritage and I have seen some great deals on the classics...because everyone loves the Heritages...LOL

Besides not having college to pay for, I have more spare time and time off from work now, I've also hooked up with some guys who take long rides-(1 week). Something I've always wanted to do but never had the time and I need something reliable and readily fixable on the road.

Right now I'm looking at both the Classic and the Heritage, no rush as I have a nice ride. I'd love to find a low mileage 01-03 Heritage not priced higher than an 07 Classic..and of course I only want certain colors...

D

Old 02-27-2012 | 10:26 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Trust me, the right one for you is out there. Like I said, my '01 took me years to find. Only 10k miles on her, the exact color I wanted, the right engine and fuel injection, etc. She was like-new (actually, better than brand new, cause I got her at forty percent of the price she sold for new). Seriously, not a nick or scratch on her.

Heritage Springer owners tend, as a whole, to take meticulous care of both the mechanical and cosmetic features of their bikes. I think, as a group, we HS owners are some of the most fiercely loyal and dedicated on all of the subgroups of Harley owners. We have our own association and rallies too.

Best of luck on your search. You and the right bike will find each other.

Old 02-27-2012 | 10:31 AM
DynaJ
Road Master

Well to each there own I guess. I have a 06 springer classic love the black front forks. The heritage is the same bike with chrome front end BUT my god who likes all those stupid studs all around the bike? I personally think its tacky but hey its your bike..As far as handling the bike tracks like a dream I have no problem in the canyons. I had a superglide previous to this bike it had the 96 with the 6 speed I will tell you that I really dont miss either 1, If I wanted a race bike I would go by an R1..I say buy it throw some black bars on it and you will love it besides who likes to clean chrome all day.

Old 02-27-2012 | 10:39 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Forks are PC'd black and hold up great! Mine have over 30K miles and there is not a single chip or scratch from road debris on them.

Quick Reply: Springer Classic Owners...A ? for ya.