Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Classic Owners...A ? for ya.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012 | 10:41 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DynaJ
Well to each there own I guess. I have a 06 springer classic love the black front forks. The heritage is the same bike with chrome front end BUT my god who likes all those stupid studs all around the bike? I personally think its tacky but hey its your bike..As far as handling the bike tracks like a dream I have no problem in the canyons. I had a superglide previous to this bike it had the 96 with the 6 speed I will tell you that I really dont miss either 1, If I wanted a race bike I would go by an R1..I say buy it throw some black bars on it and you will love it besides who likes to clean chrome all day.
I think you must be confusing a Heritage (which came with studs) with a Heritage Springer (which did not). The Heritage Springer never came with any studs, save the dudes who ride them!

Old 02-27-2012 | 10:45 AM
Crash75
Tourer

The black forks are definately powder. They stand up to all the bugs and grit from the roads just fine. I, personally, cannot decide which I would like better...the black or chrome front end. Obviously, I have the black, but i think there are advantages to both. The black will not show dirt as bad and has the real nostalgic look as they were back in the day. The chrome looks good too but wonder how much more time it would take to clean the bike. Mine is a 2007 so it has the 96" motor and 6 speed...awsome on the highways. Get what you want man...and don't settle for less.

Old 02-27-2012 | 10:49 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Crash75
The black forks are definately powder. They stand up to all the bugs and grit from the roads just fine. I, personally, cannot decide which I would like better...the black or chrome front end. Obviously, I have the black, but i think there are advantages to both. The black will not show dirt as bad and has the real nostalgic look as they were back in the day. The chrome looks good too but wonder how much more time it would take to clean the bike. Mine is a 2007 so it has the 96" motor and 6 speed...awsome on the highways. Get what you want man...and don't settle for less.
Crash, that is a slick looking scoot. Really nice! Love those colors and the X-bones seat!

Old 02-27-2012 | 10:58 AM
Crash75
Tourer

Thanks Dave.. I'm doin some winter mods to the bike now...most notably, getting rid of the 18" wheels that are on it (bought it with them) and putting 16" back on. Also adding old school looking tires to add to the old look. I will have to update my picture when done.

Old 02-27-2012 | 02:31 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Thanks Dave.. I'm doin some winter mods to the bike now...most notably, getting rid of the 18" wheels that are on it (bought it with them) and putting 16" back on. Also adding old school looking tires to add to the old look. I will have to update my picture when done.
Look, it's your bike, so you got to do what you got to do, but that wheel tire combo looks awesome! I prefer the WWW on my bike, but the black walls look really good on yours. Black walls are old school as that is what original Springers came with. If you are thinking of changing wheels to get WWW tires, there are other solutions, that in the long run will save you money (versus buying new rims and tires).

Vee Rubber makes a VRM-302F150/60/18 in WWW for $206

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010

And a matching Vee Rubber VRM-302F WWW front (or rear) 13/70/18 for $192

I haven't really shopped around for price, but you could go WWW without changing those cool 18" rims... Just another thought.

Old 02-27-2012 | 07:47 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer

What do you want for the 18's?

Old 02-27-2012 | 08:06 PM
Crash75
Tourer

Originally Posted by SprungDave
Look, it's your bike, so you got to do what you got to do, but that wheel tire combo looks awesome! I prefer the WWW on my bike, but the black walls look really good on yours. Black walls are old school as that is what original Springers came with. If you are thinking of changing wheels to get WWW tires, there are other solutions, that in the long run will save you money (versus buying new rims and tires).

Vee Rubber makes a VRM-302F150/60/18 in WWW for $206

And a matching Vee Rubber VRM-302F WWW front (or rear) 13/70/18 for $192

I haven't really shopped around for price, but you could go WWW without changing those cool 18" rims... Just another thought.

Not going with white walls. I thought about it for a bit but decided to get the avon mark II for its 40s looking tread pattern and thick profile. They are all black. I'm trying to replicate the 40s as best I can without going way overboard. The 18"s that are on there are real nice but they just don't fit my theme as well as a pair of 16"s will. They also don't make tires in 18" that have a decent old school tread...at least not one that I liked. Can you tell I'm a perfectionist??? Thanks for the info man.

Old 02-27-2012 | 08:21 PM
Crash75
Tourer

Originally Posted by 97HeritageSpringer
What do you want for the 18's?
The rims are 18" Landmark wheels, 40 spoke smooth, powder coated matte (flat) black. The tires are Metzler Marathon with about 2000 easy miles on them....no burnouts or skids. Rims also have about 2000 miles on them. The tires have tons of life left in them. As far as I can tell, the rims are still in mint condition...no dings, scratches or any blemishes at all. They are still on the bike for now until my new rims come in. I ordered them about 4 weeks ago and was told they should be in in about 4-6 weeks....so anytime now.

New...the rims are 550.00 a piece and the tires are still good. I can't afford to "give" them away as I need to recoupe some of the money I spent on the new wheels. If you are interested, shoot me an offer

Old 02-29-2012 | 11:37 AM
DynaJ
Road Master

The rims are 18" Landmark wheels, 40 spoke smooth, powder coated matte (flat) black. The tires are Metzler Marathon with about 2000 easy miles on them....no burnouts or skids. Rims also have about 2000 miles on them. The tires have tons of life left in them. As far as I can tell, the rims are still in mint condition...no dings, scratches or any blemishes at all. They are still on the bike for now until my new rims come in. I ordered them about 4 weeks ago and was told they should be in in about 4-6 weeks....so anytime now.

New...the rims are 550.00 a piece and the tires are still good. I can't afford to "give" them away as I need to recoupe some of the money I spent on the new wheels. If you are interested, shoot me an offer
Damn I would have just swapped you...

Old 02-29-2012 | 01:54 PM
tq745
Tourer

there are heritage springers out there to be had, but most of them will be 5 speeds carb. the only springer classic that will be the efi 6 speed will be the 07 which is the last and only year of that model. with the 103" out I would try to find a 07 if you could get a good deal on it. as for the front black fork it'll definitely withstand grime and chips. and with the right color combo the black really looks nice.

Quick Reply: Springer Classic Owners...A ? for ya.