Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil scavenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:29 PM
fmnspooch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poppavein
Hmm. The kidney is a filter. The dialysis machine is a better filter than the broken kidney. So, you are saying it is ok to pump the old oil back into the system after properly filtering it? I would agree with that. A good synthetic is good for 10,000 miles and the Harley oil filter filters down to 5 microns.

I don't think this is the simile you are looking for.

Rather, you want a complete blood transfusion, replacing every little molecule, to ensure that only fresh new blood is flowing in the system.
Blood transfusion, nice. I like it! That's what I want, fresh oil. 100%...LOL

Old 02-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I know this is a hotly debated topic and there have been many comments made about this subject matter from one extreme to another. I just purchesed the OIL SCAVENGER from Rouge choppers web site. This is why, I have over 20k in my bike, with every reciept to prove that as some don't or find that hard to believe by just looking at pictures here on this website of my bike and yes some of that is labor for things I have not been able to do myself for one reason or another. I just spent another $79 and some change for the scavenger with the delivery charge. If I can spend that much on this bike what is another $79 bucks to assure myself I get a complete 100% new, clean and fresh oil with each and every oil change I do from this point on. I don't know how that can be anything less then benificial for my scooter. If we all leave behind 20% to 22% dirty, broken down oil in our bikes when we do oil changes how can running on 100% clean oil be anything less then a good thing for my motor? Yes, I know we have all been doing it the "old" and "convetional" way for years and that there are bikes out there with 1000's of miles on them the old way too. I still think if there are bikes out there, inluding my own in the past, with all those miles on them how many more miles will a person get using the scavenger? If I get NOTHING but peace of mind for my $79 bucks out of the deal then so be it. IMHO it will be well worth it!!
Not trying to give you a hard time but what was the point of your thread? You basically talk about what you have already done regardless of any arguments for or against it and that you feel good about it. I guess if you were simply looking for a pat on the back then here ya go:

Just messing with ya!

Old 02-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Boy, from one extreme to another over this thing. When one goes in for dialysis for lets say a kidney that no longer functions properly as an example, they run the dialysis untill ALL of your blood has been filtered and cleaned. If you went in for dialysis once per week and they only cleaned 80% of your blood guess what? By week 4 you are probably close to death if in fact you have not already died. If I was the one needing the dialysis and I went in and if they did not complete the entire filtration of my blood I doubt seriously I would be satisfied with an 80% filtration as compared to the 100% of my blood. Why? Because I know that 80% is NO WHERE near as good or as effective as a 100% filtration of my blood. Now here comes the scavenger and we are talking oil changes. I want my bike to operate to the fullest potential of all I have put into it. I want the inside of my bike just as clean as the outside of my bike. I want my bike to operate as cleanly as I can possibly make it operate. I want my bike to operate at cooler tempratures as I can possibly make it operate. I also want my bike to operate as long as I can possibly get out of it too. No one can ever convince me that leaving 20% of my old oil in each and every oil change I do over the years is as good as a complete 100% clean oil change!! The key here to all of my statments are the words I use like, I, ME, MINE and so on. This is what I think, feel and believe to be true about my bike, my oil and my oil changes. What anyone else wants to believe or how they feel or what they think is fine by me too! If someone thinks that this is foolish and not needed, fine! I am OK with that! All I am saying is that I bought this oil scavenger so that I can get a complete, 100% clean oil change each and everytime I change the oil on my bike because I think thats whats best for it!! $80.00???, pennies compared to what I have invested in my bike. If anyone else wants to swing by, use it for free, knock yourself out! It's on me! If not, thats fine too! I am going to do a complete, 100% oil change from this point on. Why? Because thats what I think is best for my bike, period!!!
Wow...

I totally get it if using this thing makes you happy and lets you feel that you are doing something more for you machine than the rest of us might...

But comparing changing the oil in a motorcycle engine and getting kidney dialysis is a bit of a stretch. Just stick with the "I just feel better doing it" argument which I (and I think a lot of folks) can respect more than some convoluted simile to try and justify your decision. I get the comparison but if you really think that your Harley is that similar to your physiology then maybe the next time you don't feel well you should skip your doctor and just head over to your local H-D service department to get a diagnosis...

Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ahhh, never mind. Had a nice reply all typed out then thought, whats the point! I'm OK with my choices, don't need any approval. It was 60 here today so I took the old girl out for a ride and that put me in a whole new frame of mind! I don't care what anyone says, there ain't nothing like hoping on your bike and clearing the cobwebs out from the lack of riding do to the winter months. Boy the old girl rode sweet and sounds so damn healthy!

Last edited by tbonetony06; 02-29-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, I been riding for nearly 40 years, I ain't new to none of this! My bikes in the past did just fine! BUT, being the CLEAN FREAK that I am, if this was available all those years ago, I would have had one then too. Out with the bad, in with the good. NOW, I am out with 100% of the bad and in with the good! When I clean my scooter, I don't do the whole thing then leave my white wall's filthy and walk away from it, I clean 100% of my scooter, white walls and all!!!! NOW, when I change my oil, I change 100% of my oil, simple as that! I swear, I don't have a problem with anyone who chooses to change 80% of their oil, I really don't!! If a person is happy with that, I am happy for them too!!! Thats what freedom of choice is all about! Personally, the first time I hook up my oil scavenger and watch that baby pump filth out of it until I see that nice, fresh, clean virgin oil comming through I'm gonna pop a chubby and my scooter, my pride and joy is gonna in turn treat me like a and then I am gonna get right back on it and ride it until I drop just so I can get that oil dirty and then look forward to the next time I can change my oil again!!! And with that I am going to !!!!!
Wow brutha, didn't mean to rile you all up so early in the day. I'm definitely NOT damning you for your purchase and thought I made that clear. And I certainly didn't ask that you justify ****, I simply expressed "my point of view," which is part of the whole interaction concept of a forum based web site where folks express opinions and seek help etc.

Be sure to let us know when you hit 50 years so we can get you a GOLD freaking pin or watch, your choosing. Glad you got out for a ride, hope it helped! Now stop justifying yourself and go change your damn oil.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Not trying to give you a hard time but what was the point of your thread? You basically talk about what you have already done regardless of any arguments for or against it and that you feel good about it. I guess if you were simply looking for a pat on the back then here ya go:

Just messing with ya!
++1

I forgot we are a kinder and gentler world these days. Tearing up now

Last edited by NC D'LUXE; 02-29-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

shouldnt we ask Chap how the GP guys change their oil? Ah crap, this post isnt going to solve a damn thing. erase erase erase...where's the GD Jack

Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a scavenger back in '10 when I bought my '02 Heritage. I always get at least 30oz of dirty oil out of the motor at every change.

To me that doesn't lie.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ok here is the end of this story. It really only makes sense to scavenge that last 30 oz's of oil out if you plan to run your oil longer. If you change your oil at the proper intervals ie meaning that the oil is still performing the intended job when you change it then it doesnt make a damn bit of difference if you still have some old oil in the motor. Now can we get on with the drinkin? When do the dancing girls get here?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 PM
S.D.M.F
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 229 Posts

Here's the dancing girl.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ouVlr1Exjo

Quick Reply: Oil scavenger