Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anodizing VS Powder coating

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anodizing VS Powder coating

I started kicking the idea around since I have a part coming in thats anodized. So, I'm thinking about getting other parts that I was going to powder coat get them anodized... What are your thoughts, experience and ultimately pricing..

Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anodizing will fade, powder won't. I also think that you can only anodize aluminum. I have a combination of both on my bike, don't worry about having some powder and some ano.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

I like powder and have powder but like paint even when its cleared it gets swirl marks no biggie but looking at long term and something different..

Last edited by Joe What; 02-23-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Branner
Anodizing will fade, powder won't. I also think that you can only anodize aluminum. I have a combination of both on my bike, don't worry about having some powder and some ano.
+1 on the aluminum.........anodizing process reacts with the surface (mirco level) to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer of aluminum parts. You can add dyes to it to get different colors but the control isn't even close to that of paint. If you are going to paint aluminum then you should anodize the part first.........ie ever seen a real original Ford Cobra, paint peeled off cause they didn't anodize it first. I think powder coating is the best bet for a motorcycle........now if you are building a jet, that's a different story.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
+1 on the aluminum.........anodizing process reacts with the surface (mirco level) to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer of aluminum parts. You can add dyes to it to get different colors but the control isn't even close to that of paint. If you are going to paint aluminum then you should anodize the part first.........ie ever seen a real original Ford Cobra, paint peeled off cause they didn't anodize it first. I think powder coating is the best bet for a motorcycle........now if you are building a jet, that's a different story.
Im not looking at getting parts to look like they are painted I understand the process and i know that a dyed red anodized part wont look like a PC part.. I guess my question to you if its good enough for a jet why wouldnt it be good for a motorcycle?
More people PC parts because its cheaper and not mainsteam? Sports bike have been doing them for a while, why not us?

I do appreciate your response.. Thanks dude

Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe What
Im not looking at getting parts to look like they are painted I understand the process and i know that a dyed red anodized part wont look like a PC part.. I guess my question to you if its good enough for a jet why wouldnt it be good for a motorcycle?
More people PC parts because its cheaper and not mainsteam? Sports bike have been doing them for a while, why not us?

I do appreciate your response.. Thanks dude
Most airlines (except American) paint their airplanes because anodizing large pieces like that would be expensive. I was talking about structure inside the aircraft away from the elements. I know sport bikes anodize parts but again they are making them out of aluminum cause they want them to be light weight..........anything on a Harley that is aluminum is chrome HA! Ha! I get what your saying I just like chrome so I don't think about color except on the tins.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Most airlines (except American) paint their airplanes because anodizing large pieces like that would be expensive. I was talking about structure inside the aircraft away from the elements. I know sport bikes anodize parts but again they are making them out of aluminum cause they want them to be light weight..........anything on a Harley that is aluminum is chrome HA! Ha! I get what your saying I just like chrome so I don't think about color except on the tins.
Ok got ya, I love chrome just want to change things out..... Well, if the pricing is fair Im gonna give it a whirl..My new front end will be anodized and i was think about by struts and console not sure if console is aluminum..
Any ideas on what it would cost.. I looked it up but pricing is vague and there are various stages of anodizing.. So, I will spend some time researching and asking questions.. Thanks dude

Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powder will hold up 10 times better. I used to run anodized parts on a dirt bike i had. it faded badly over a short time.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Powder will hold up 10 times better. I used to run anodized parts on a dirt bike i had. it faded badly over a short time.
That is my main concern. I wonder if the process has improved. I want something that will hold up for years. Powder like i said earlier, i hate the swirl marks.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 AM
NCTURBOS
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, the rear sprocket on my bike is anodized black, and has not faded any in the couple years its been on there.

K.

Attached Thumbnails Anodizing VS Powder coating-prostreet-10-11-003-1-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anodizing VS Powder coating