Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Life

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012 | 08:48 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

7600 miles on this Night Dragon with 78% nitrogen. Pic taken tonight.

Attached Thumbnails Tire Life-content-_media_external_images_media_400.jpg   Tire Life-content-_media_external_images_media_401.jpg  
Old 02-25-2012 | 12:31 AM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by soft 02
7600 miles on this Night Dragon with 78% nitrogen. Pic taken tonight.
The stock tires I replaced did not look no where that bad.

Old 02-25-2012 | 01:25 AM
Snowyone
|
Road Captain
Default thanks

Thanks for all the replys. I can't figure out why the Fatboy Lo should wear out tires so fast. I've had it on the lift for a week with maintence and alinement. I used straight edges and lasers and made very little adjustment. Ended up with the best alignment just centering the belt in the rear pulley. I'm ordering a set of Commander II's before the roads are bare. If they're even telling a little truth and I can get 10k then I'll be happy. If not I'm going to a car tire. Maybe shedding 50 lbs and hauling less crap when I travel would help to but slim chance.

Old 02-25-2012 | 06:30 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

I just don't understand why some get such low mileage on tires. My stock Dunlop 407 went 10 thousand miles and I went to Avon Cobras and have 15 thousand on them and still have tread left. I use my rear brake all the time, just habit from riding bikes with only rear brakes I guess, I downshift most times but do ck the pressure everytime I ride. I run 44-45 lbs in the rear and very little 2 up riding. I use dynabeads too if that is any key to longer mileage I don't know. Freeway driveing will wear tires faster than back roads do. I think air pressure is the key to longer life. JMO

Old 02-25-2012 | 10:46 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
I just don't understand why some get such low mileage on tires. My stock Dunlop 407 went 10 thousand miles and I went to Avon Cobras and have 15 thousand on them and still have tread left. I use my rear brake all the time, just habit from riding bikes with only rear brakes I guess, I downshift most times but do ck the pressure everytime I ride. I run 44-45 lbs in the rear and very little 2 up riding. I use dynabeads too if that is any key to longer mileage I don't know. Freeway driveing will wear tires faster than back roads do. I think air pressure is the key to longer life. JMO
I hear ya. I would love to see 10,000 miles on a rear. 90% or my riding is freeway at 75+. Guess i need to start taking the road less traveled.

Old 02-25-2012 | 01:26 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by oct1949
Its been known in here for several Yrs the the 200 rear tires for what ever reason just doesn't last.
Lots of past threads in here and other forums reporting that the FB tire last usually 3-5k.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...e-series/d401/

As said above. try the 401.

I've used the 401 on the rear since new and I average 10k on them. but its the 150-80-16 size.

I'd think Ur 200 should be able to be close to the same mileage.
Wrong. I've been through all the Dunlops in 200, and none of them last anywhere near that long for me. Some just last longer than others. 6K tops.

Old 02-25-2012 | 01:46 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
I hear ya. I would love to see 10,000 miles on a rear. 90% or my riding is freeway at 75+. Guess i need to start taking the road less traveled.
On the freeways the tires are almost always on center or close to that as less traveled roads you use more of the sides of the tire. Chances are the people who get poor mileage out of tires will always get poor mileage out of any tire they put on the back unless they change where they ride and how they ride

Old 02-25-2012 | 01:53 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

One of these days going to pick up an extra rim and try out the darkside! Might be better for the super slab.

Old 02-25-2012 | 02:02 PM
Snowyone
|
Road Captain
Default dyna beads

I been using dyna beads and didn't extend milage by much but sure made the bike smooth. Smoother than my Road and Electra Glides that are both under someone elses butt now. I got Metzlers put on in Sturgis and they wouldn't reinstall my beads claiming it would void my warranty. Claimed they erroded the tire beads. I called B.S. and wanted them put in anyway which they wouldn't. Told them I would be changing out the tire before long anyway so did the warranty cover milage which resulted in a big no. I just put on Centramatic balancers on my wheels and hope they will do as good a job as the Dyna beads. Use them on my 80 FXWG and helped considerably there but it's a 4 3/4" stoke shovel and had a tendency to vib a bit. It's just a pain when you run into blockheads that don't want to do your wishes and balancers will be easier if they will work as good. Will be looking into the car tire deal if the Commander II's will not give me any satisfaction. Would like to try the nitrogen fill if I can find a supplier.

Old 02-25-2012 | 05:36 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Interesting. My Dunlop 407 has maintain 42 psi for dual riding or fully loaded on it. Owner's manual has 42 psi. Basically, you are always running an over inflated tire.

Quick Reply: Tire Life