Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Fairing Arrived Last Week

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Hey Kozy.......I did some internet searches a week or so ago.......I'm not sure that you can clear coat over them, but that would solve the issue. Most of the companies I found did flames, that kind of stuff, I need to find one that can customize the decal. Still a good idea.....Thanks
Regarding the style...I think common with the rest of the bike and not overdone...JMHO. I've seen so many where the fairing just takes over from the rest of the bike, rather than blending with it. A very crude example...

Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Fairing Arrived Last Week-p4120029_a.jpg  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mswing1234
Regarding the style...I think common with the rest of the bike and not overdone...JMHO. I've seen so many where the fairing just takes over from the rest of the bike, rather than blending with it. A very crude example...

Hey mswing, I like the paint job (microsoft LOL) .....I wasn't spreading it out from both sides of the windshield like your pic but I like your idea better. I think I've found a guy that can match the paint, just need to ride out on to his shop and make sure. I was also going to include the gold pin strip outside the blue just like on the fender decal. Rode to Columbia last week (took the long route Hwy 50-63) with the fairing on.........it was great!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

Hey mswing, I like the paint job (microsoft LOL) .....I wasn't spreading it out from both sides of the windshield like your pic but I like your idea better. I think I've found a guy that can match the paint, just need to ride out on to his shop and make sure. I was also going to include the gold pin strip outside the blue just like on the fender decal. Rode to Columbia last week (took the long route Hwy 50-63) with the fairing on.........it was great!
Hey Mike, LOL...yeah ya gotta love Paint. Just screwing around and wanted to follow the curve of the fairing. I was going to add a stripe but it took me long enough to get what I did to sort of match. Also...J. Sabo is going in for some surgery on May 8th. Keep him in your thoughts.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

good, show it when done;./

Old 04-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Banggood
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike, LOL...yeah ya gotta love Paint. Just screwing around and wanted to follow the curve of the fairing. I was going to add a stripe but it took me long enough to get what I did to sort of match. Also...J. Sabo is going in for some surgery on May 8th. Keep him in your thoughts.
What kind of stripe you want to find to match ? Maybe I can help you with that ,just show me the similar picture and tell me what kind of stripe you want ,I will attach several pic in reply to see if I can help you with .

Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Banggood
What kind of stripe you want to find to match ? Maybe I can help you with that ,just show me the similar picture and tell me what kind of stripe you want ,I will attach several pic in reply to see if I can help you with .
I said pin stripe but it's really part of the decal. On the Fatboy HD puts decals (different color than the paint) on all of the tins. Each decal has a specific color (mine are blue) and each has gold trim edge........but it's all one piece.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

I took my fairing to a guy in Wright City ( Jim Novelli ) who specializes in painting motorcycles. The design that I chose is very close to the one mswing photo shopped and posted a while back. I did some layouts on the fairing before I took it to Jim.....we both kept looking at the design and thinking that it was off center, then he thought my headlight was off.........finally dawned on me. The 07 fender is shifted to the right so the design on the fender doesn't line up visually if you put something in the center of the fairing. We decided to move the point (blue painted area) from the tip of the fairing (at the headlight) toward the rear about 2-3inches. Hopefully the eye will override the brain and make them appear in line. I'll post some pics when it's complete.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Mike,

If you are looking towards getting decals, stop by your local sign shop. They should be able to get you what you want either in vinyl or printed in full color. Some shops will cut you a break on the price if they can run it with other decals and use up areas that would be lost otherwise. Just a thought.

PS Fairing looks great

Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

I took my fairing to a guy in Wright City ( Jim Novelli ) who specializes in painting motorcycles. The design that I chose is very close to the one mswing photo shopped and posted a while back. I did some layouts on the fairing before I took it to Jim.....we both kept looking at the design and thinking that it was off center, then he thought my headlight was off.........finally dawned on me. The 07 fender is shifted to the right so the design on the fender doesn't line up visually if you put something in the center of the fairing. We decided to move the point (blue painted area) from the tip of the fairing (at the headlight) toward the rear about 2-3inches. Hopefully the eye will override the brain and make them appear in line. I'll post some pics when it's complete.
Holy crap...I forgot about the 07 offset. Looking forward to seeing the end result. If you like it, PM me Jim Novelli's phone number. He's out my direction. I might be in the market for some new paint.

Mike

Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by harleyfiremedic
Mike,

If you are looking towards getting decals, stop by your local sign shop. They should be able to get you what you want either in vinyl or printed in full color. Some shops will cut you a break on the price if they can run it with other decals and use up areas that would be lost otherwise. Just a thought.

PS Fairing looks great
Thanks medic........good info for future projects, going with paint this time!

Holy crap...I forgot about the 07 offset. Looking forward to seeing the end result. If you like it, PM me Jim Novelli's phone number. He's out my direction. I might be in the market for some new paint.

Mike
I will PM you Jim's info.......he did a great job (judge for yourself). He matched the accent OEM blue from the fender perfectly. You can't tell his mix from the original color. The points visually line up really well, I'm really happy the way this project has turned out. I was playing with the idea of painting the tins this last winter and built the fairing instead..........I'm glad I did the fairing, the white is growing on me!

Last edited by STLFLSTF_Mike; 05-24-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Fatboy Fairing Arrived Last Week