Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 AM
jackets
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really good advice. Thanks. To lay out what we have to in order to get this bike, and then to half *** it on exhaust doesn't make any sense. I will wait. (and look at the Rush system Baracu linked)

Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM
mswmn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
Think long term... Don't waste money on slip-ons because they will never be just right, and you will see them sitting on a shelf in a year or so anyways... Live with the stock ones until you can afford the real deal. It will also give you some time to look around and talk to people and figure out what you really want in the end. Learn from my mistakes, lol. I'd offer to sell you my old SE slipons, but you really don't want them...
Good advice. I'm looking at mine on the shelf as we speak...

Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jackets
I've now had my '12 heritage for a week now. Please tell me if the stock pipes loosen up a little (sound quality) with some mileage, or if I am only hearing something I want to hear. I've only put 140 miles on her. Thanks.
Go ride to places where there are lots of other bikes. Listen to the bikes until you find some that you like the sound. Make sure the bikes that have the sound you like are similar years and engine size (because that can have a real effect on the sound produced as well). It would suck to get a system that after it was installed did not sound the way you want. Of course, getting a system that you like the looks matters too. In the end, it is rare to find a system that looks the way you want, sounds the way you want and performs the best available at a price you can afford. It will always be a compromise in some way or another. The goal is to get as many checks in the win column as possible with as few checks in the lose column as possible. YMMV.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Dave stated, go and listen, ask questions (what kind is it, which model, which baffle (if any). If it sounds good and you can live with the style, go for it.

Mike

Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love my 2012 Heritage, couldn't take the sound. Or lack of, lol. Took advantage of the $99 sale on Rush slipons - an unbelievable deal - I and my hubby have had them on other bikes and always loved the sound, got lots of compliments. And i am SOOOO happy now. I got the 1.75" baffles - loud enough, but not too loud. Nice deep sound that i know only gets better with time.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

check out American Custom Exhaust.. they're sponsors here. they have a good product with reasonable prices and top notch customer service.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Think long term... Don't waste money on slip-ons because they will never be just right, and you will see them sitting on a shelf in a year or so anyways...

Dang, Think I got my moneys worth.

I've had my Rush slip ons now going on 6yrs and 36k.. Why, because I haven't heard any pipe that have the deep rumble, loud bark when U get on it and all the while there mild at steady speeds going down the road.

Will a whole new system make a little better TQ. For sure, but for 2-3 #'s of TQ I won't give up my Rush 2''ers.