Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning up my back rim

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning up my back rim

I need to find something that will clean up the back rim and remove the start of what looks like to be some corrosion or what not. For those of you with Trains, I am speaking not about the black part of the back rim, but the shiny part that doesn't seem to have the luster it once had as new. Anyone have ideas of something strong enough to clean it well but not mess up the finish?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use Shout Triple Acting spray cleaner - buy it a any local market in the laundry section. It does not have teflon in it so you don't have to worry about getting it on you brake pads or rotors. spray it on let it sit wash it off, repeat - use a soft cloth to rub it in. Takes of roadgrime, brake dust, tar, bugs and leaves rims like new. Ride safe and often.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope its not, but if its the white, crusty looking spots, it is most likely pitted and will require re-polishing. I had to do this on a buddy's Sportster a few weeks ago. I put his in the lathe and polished the lips, scuffed the black part, and cleared the wheels.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

Originally Posted by 97HeritageSpringer
I hope its not, but if its the white, crusty looking spots, it is most likely pitted and will require re-polishing. I had to do this on a buddy's Sportster a few weeks ago. I put his in the lathe and polished the lips, scuffed the black part, and cleared the wheels.
Yeah that is exactly what it looks like.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be able to get it off with something if its not too bad, but when we got it off my buddy's wheels, it left black pits in the surface.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

My last bike had the polished aluminum? wheels, and my Deuce had the aluminum rear wheel. I used to use 'Flitz' metal polish to keep them clean and shiny. The first time or two that you do it, it will take a while due to the condition they're in now. After that it's 10 minute job every couple of weeks.
One tube will last forever!

(I've since chromed the rear on my Deuce)

http://www.flitz.com/

Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 AM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

I did one side this morning. It turned a piece of cloth totally black. The rim is a bit shinier, but where the oxidation was, is now blackened. I don't want to have to take the rim off to get this done. Can I use any sort of power tool with a brush on it to make it clean faster?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XNightTrain
I did one side this morning. It turned a piece of cloth totally black. The rim is a bit shinier, but where the oxidation was, is now blackened. I don't want to have to take the rim off to get this done. Can I use any sort of power tool with a brush on it to make it clean faster?
I know how to fix that.......chrome baby...chrome...... Seriously....I work with machined aluminum all the time. If it's not conversion coated it will eventually oxidize (the white stuff that you see). All you can do is clean and coat with something that will not discolor the buffed aluminum or paint. In the long run you end up jet like us chromeis........shinning your wheels before you ride

Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Yep I agree with stlflstf_mike I bought a night train because I didn't want to be cleaning my bike all the time. You are fighting an endless battle with uncoated aluminum. It will constantly be oxidized and you will be cleaning it constantly and it will never look as good as either polished and coated aluminum or chrome so I just gave up. I ride dirty!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try a little S100 engine brightener, it's made to bring out the black on engines and also works well on the primary (Night Trains). Spray some of that on and see how you like it. If it doesn't do what you want, at least you can still use it for your engine and primary. It's great stuff.

Quick Reply: Cleaning up my back rim