Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my J&M Speakers, but need help on install!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 PM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got my J&M Speakers, but need help on install!!!

Hey guys,

Well my J&M Handlebar Mounted Speakers Came in today, and while installing them, I have hit a bit of a snag. I can not figure how to install the power harness (I am not really mechanically inclined when it comes to electronics). I got the Speakers mounted and everything, but don't know what to do with this (picture provided)

I know it needs to go through the accessory 15amp fuse, but how do I do that? Also the grounding wire, do I just ground that to the negative side of the battery since it has the loop for the battery bolt?

Appreciate the help, trying to get this done tonight so the quicker response the better and I really do appreciate it!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the black wire with the loop and hook to the battery. If that red square thing has a fuse in it, just hook the red wire to the battery. If not you can hook into an accessory or add an inline fuse. And plug into your radio amp. Thats the best I could do without any info.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:55 PM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tracey87
Take the black wire with the loop and hook to the battery. If that red square thing has a fuse in it, just hook the red wire to the battery. If not you can hook into an accessory or add an inline fuse. And plug into your radio amp. Thats the best I could do without any info.
The speakers have amps built in and I think if I hook the red wire to the battery the speakers will be on all the time....at least that's how it is with my car charger port I added. The red square does have a fuse in it. I guess maybe I need to get a fuse tap?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 PM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser

I guess I could use a crimp splice (came with 2) and connect it to the accessory wire...but I have no idea where that is...

Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 PM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser

Took a picture of what I am looking at. I believe that the gray piece at the top of the picture is the accessory plug correct? Now I just have no idea how to connect it. I watched an installation video on you tube and he used a 15 amp fuse (like what comes with ours) and it had a red wire coming out of the top and he just connected them. That would be easy, but no idea where I can get one. Any help is appreciated!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:33 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If there is no on off for the amp, then yes, you are correct, it would need to be switched off in some manner.Fuse block 6 is the acc on a softail.

1. ECM* 15 Amp
2. Fuel Pump* 15 Amp
3. Headlamp
4. P&A (2 Amp max)
5. Battery
6. Accessories
7. Instruments
8. Ignition
9. Lights
10. Start Relay
11. System Relay (EFI)
12. Spare 15 Amp
13. Spare 15 Amp

Last edited by tracey87; 02-17-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 PM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tracey87
If there is no on off for the amp, then yes, you are correct, it would need to be switched off in some manner.Fuse block 6 is the acc on a softail.

1. ECM* 15 Amp
2. Fuel Pump* 15 Amp
3. Headlamp
4. P&A (2 Amp max)
5. Battery
6. Accessories
7. Instruments
8. Ignition
9. Lights
10. Start Relay
11. System Relay (EFI)
12. Spare 15 Amp
13. Spare 15 Amp
I think I'm going to try to find a fuse with a wire on it and splice them together then replace the fuse. Appreciate it man, going to bed, hopefully will wake up to more responses as I have no idea how to wire...

Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBoyzT
Took a picture of what I am looking at. I believe that the gray piece at the top of the picture is the accessory plug correct?
The gray piece is the plug to read out the ECM, I wouldn't hook it up to that one.

On the rear lighting harness there should be an orange/white wire which is the auxiliary power for domestic bikes - on international bikes it's the blue wire (at least it is according to the 2007 and 2009 service manual). You could splice in the harness just before the plug that connects the Rear Wiring harness.

Confusingly, the blue wire is the rear light for the domestic bikes and the orange/white one is brake light for the international bikes ... go figure.

Last edited by Rakthi; 02-18-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 AM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser

Can you see the rear lugging harness in the picture I posted? Sorry I'm a noob lol

Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
joejack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this video on YouTube. This guy used an automotive lead attached to a fuse which was plug and play.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=Rzj5oAQc3gg

Quick Reply: Got my J&M Speakers, but need help on install!!!