Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barnett Clutch Cable issues???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickrc3

I've been round-and-round with the Magnum folks who absolutely refuse to acknowledge a failure. These idiots claim my installation caused their premature discoloration. After I send several detailed pictures, the conclusion to their 'close examination' revealed I lubricated the cables due to the 'barber-striping' that runs the entire length. I couldn't believe this crap, and still can't!
Why would lubricating them cause "barber-striping"? Is it the clear jacket or the actual braid?

The parts manager briefly mentioned something about mine being "lubricated" and I shut that down quick. I told him my bike was exactly the same as the day I picked it up from them, that I had not even removed the adjuster cover. I'm not sure what he thought I would be lubricating at the adjuster? Maybe I should have asked him.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

the more I read and experience about HD dealers. I am amazed that they stay in business. Seems that 90% of the dealers are horrible, my local one included

Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010Deluxeguy
the more I read and experience about HD dealers. I am amazed that they stay in business. Seems that 90% of the dealers are horrible, my local one included
Another update:

The parts manager did in fact order me a Harley cable at no charge. The Harley cable came in and there is an issue.

Apparently Harley has changed their design. The new replacement cable is silver braid from the clutch perch down to the adjuster and then is black covered from the adjuster all the way to where it enters the transmission. I was not expecting this and did not want this on my bike. I have a few (only a few) pieces of chrome on my bike including the frame covers and chrome adjuster cover. To me the cable being half silver braid and half black just doesn't look right especially on my bike. The parts manager says all Harley braided cables are this way now? I have the original Harley Diamondback cable that was on my bike when it had Drag Bars and it is silver braided for the entire length so they obviously have changed some things.

I discussed this with the manager and he promptly said he would order me another cable from Magnum- at no charge. My dealer has been great through this process and have definitely earned a customer.

I'm going to install the cable myself and use some marine heat shrink to seal the connections. I'll try to snap some pics when I do it to help others prevent this issue.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
motorcycletom
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with warranty's is they end. If you had a TV that had a problem, LG or whoever isn't going to send you a new one or a loaner TV during the warranty period, they either fix it or in my case you had to return it for repair. I would think it works that way with everything. Car dealers, HD dealer etc. The same with cables, lines and what have you. After a warranty period is over no one really has to do anything for you, (unless maybe it was only a little over) as its your word that "nothing has happened to it since I've had it" maybe so, but how do you prove it. That would mean that everyone is entitled to a replacement no matter how long they owned something or what they really did to it. Of course some stuff out there is junk and should get a bad rep and hopefully improve or go away. Just my 3 cents. 2 cents plus a penny for your thoughts. lol.