Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fat Boy Lo Highway Pegs.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:23 PM
keikanca
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Fat Boy Lo Highway Pegs.....

Hoping someone can give some advice on this - just sold my Dyna Fat Bob and bought a 2012 Fat Boy Lo. I love this bike, and love the position of the controls and having the floorboards. My problem is, I am 6'-4", so I like to spread my legs out sometimes when riding. I'm looking at several options, but, it seems much more confusing then I think it needs to be.

Option 1 - Kuryakyn Mark III floorboard mounts look good, but, they say I need to get rid of the stock half moon floorboards and get a traditional floorboard.

Option 2 - Either the HD Whiskers frame mount highway pegs or Kuryakyn makes a similar frame mount kit, only it seems like this sits the pegs too close to the bike and I am still stuck with my legs folded and not stretched out, only higher up.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also, I am not looking to go with the forward control switch yet, and also not looking to get an engine guard. Also, I am sure there are lot's of people who will say a guy 6'-4" should have gone with another bike, so, if you can keep those comments on a constructive level, or at least make them humerous, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'll tell you...I'm 5'-4" and the bike fits me well. I think it's actually made for someone about 5'-7" or so though. They do make a 3" extension for the boards that you can try. But I think in the end...you're going to have to give in and do an engine guard with some highway pegs. I never wanted the guard either...that is until I was pushed off the highway by a semi into the desert and that guard on my old Sportster took the brunt of the impact when I layed it down in the dirt. That would have been my leg that got crushed. But instead I was able to walk away with the engine guard bent at almost a 90 degree angle and my leg just fine.

You're gonna love that bike though! Congrats!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
keikanca
Cruiser
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by jbg
Well I'll tell you...I'm 5'-4" and the bike fits me well. I think it's actually made for someone about 5'-7" or so though. They do make a 3" extension for the boards that you can try. But I think in the end...you're going to have to give in and do an engine guard with some highway pegs. I never wanted the guard either...that is until I was pushed off the highway by a semi into the desert and that guard on my old Sportster took the brunt of the impact when I layed it down in the dirt. That would have been my leg that got crushed. But instead I was able to walk away with the engine guard bent at almost a 90 degree angle and my leg just fine.

You're gonna love that bike though! Congrats!
That's a pretty good testament towards getting an engine guard! I'm going to try a few other options first - I can, like I did with my old Fat Bob, lay my leg across the top of the floorboard (I used the pegs on the Fat Bob) and stretch out for a little while, but that gets old fast. I LOVE the Fat Boy Lo, so there was no doubt what bike I was going to get, and since don't like the touring bikes at all (no offense to those who have them - they are awesome in their own way, just not for me!), I am determined to find a solution. Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:42 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Yeah I tried the Mark lll found the hard way about the running boards. I originally wanted to do the Mark lV's so I am gonna do them instead I like the look without the engine guards.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:52 PM
bauer4567
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isnt a whole lot to a set of whisker bars... maybe a local fab shop could make something up for for you utilizing the same mounting holes... Could end up being cheaper than Kury

Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

The sucky part about it was the guy at the dealer told me the Mark lll's would fit and I got them from Dennis Kirk for $126. Now it's gonna cost $200 from kuyakyn

Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have these and they help a lot
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/83/Relocator-Brackets

You could make those mark iii work with a little grinding to fit the half moon

Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

I thought about it but I wasn't sure I wanted to go through all of that trouble if the mark lV' s would fit with no mods

Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 PM
keikanca
Cruiser
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by kozy22
I have these and they help a lot
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/83/Relocator-Brackets

You could make those mark iii work with a little grinding to fit the half moon
I might try that - seems I'll probably end up replacing the stock floorboards and getting standard sized so the Mark III will fit. I'm not feeling like the whiskers bar will work very well. I wonder if I can use the floorboard extensions you suggested, then also put on the Mark III's? Seems like I'd be scraping on ever little turn, though.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try a different seat too

Quick Reply: New Fat Boy Lo Highway Pegs.....