Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel popping on 2012 Fatboy with Rush Slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012 | 06:31 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

The Rush slipons do gurrgle some as do others. Thats something you may never tune out of it. The big bangs can be tuned out. Do check the seal on the pipe with a light

Old 03-06-2012 | 05:19 PM
AZfatbob
Advanced

From having started with the 2"baffles in my Rush slip ons and then going to the 1.5" baffles, I'd have to guess that the 1.75" baffles would be ideal as far as sound goes.

Old 11-07-2013 | 05:56 PM
Springer912001
4th Gear

I also just added rush slip ons to my new 2013 breakout. I have a lot of decel popping. I did not have a torque wrench but righted them down pretty good. Eventually I will add a stealth S&S air cleaner and am thinking screaming eagle tuner as it is very inexpensive (around $295.00 with cables). ****, I am now going to the garage to see if I can tighten the bolts on my mufflers. I read from many that the Rush 1.75s don't cause this problem. Wtf?

Old 11-07-2013 | 07:57 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

There is so much disinformation on this subject.
Read this if you want the straight scoop written by a person who really knows of what he speaks.
http://sales.nightrider.com/2007-and...mance_b_5.html

Old 11-08-2013 | 06:02 AM
Springer912001
4th Gear
Default No efi upgrade required

Originally Posted by Falcon195
Read this if you want the straight scoop written by a person who really knows of what he speaks.
Thanks for the link Rifleman. I don't know if we all worry more about the gains or the warranty but everyone seems to think an efi mapping is needed for exhaust upgrades. A friend of mine has just purchased a new FB Low with stage one off the showroom floor. Running short shots and a stealth a/c. Harley said they won't add the efi mapping until the bike has done its 1000 mile service. Could this be proof that mapping is not really necessary? I will add my A/C upgrade now with the Rush mufflers already on and run it to see how things go. As I remember 15 years ago, all Harley's with custom pipes had decel popping. We all thought it was cool. Maybe it still is

Old 11-08-2013 | 07:15 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Springer912001
Thanks for the link Rifleman. I don't know if we all worry more about the gains or the warranty but everyone seems to think an efi mapping is needed for exhaust upgrades. A friend of mine has just purchased a new FB Low with stage one off the showroom floor. Running short shots and a stealth a/c. Harley said they won't add the efi mapping until the bike has done its 1000 mile service. Could this be proof that mapping is not really necessary? I will add my A/C upgrade now with the Rush mufflers already on and run it to see how things go. As I remember 15 years ago, all Harley's with custom pipes had decel popping. We all thought it was cool. Maybe it still is
It is usually recommended that mapping/tuning be done after 1000 miles, with or without changes, if you're going to do it.

Old 11-08-2013 | 07:27 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Falcon195
What isn't clearly stated is that once HD started including O2 sensors, some autotune (WITHIN EPA SPEC) will occur in a stock configuration.

The 'disinformation' is partly due to the differences between models and configurations, not necessarily due to lack of knowledge.

Some exhaust systems work better when the AFR, sometimes coupled with changes in timing are delivering results (emissions) outside of EPA regulations. They will require remapping to get them to perform to their maximum potential in many cases.

Popping on decel is due to a lean condition (you can't even get everyone to agree on this fact). Emissions have to be increased beyond EPA regs (which any HD dealer following the law will not do) and so tuning and/or an ECM replacement by non-dealer parties is required.

Old 11-08-2013 | 08:14 AM
njmasterplumber
6th Gear

Your bike is running lean right out of the factory. With the new pipes it's even leaner. You need the ECM remapped. Go with the FuelPak, reason being if your gonna upgrade your breather then you can simply reset the mapping yourself with the fuel pak. Also any engine mods you make in the future you can tune the mixture just as easy. The dealer will charge you everytime you make a change unless you swing a deal with them for buying the accessories from them they will remap the ecm for free

Old 11-08-2013 | 10:07 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by njmasterplumber
Your bike is running lean right out of the factory. With the new pipes it's even leaner.
Why? Do the new pipes cause the ECM to ignore the oxygen sensors?

Old 11-08-2013 | 10:14 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned

Originally Posted by Springer912001
I also just added rush slip ons to my new 2013 breakout. I have a lot of decel popping. I did not have a torque wrench but righted them down pretty good. Eventually I will add a stealth S&S air cleaner and am thinking screaming eagle tuner as it is very inexpensive (around $295.00 with cables). ****, I am now going to the garage to see if I can tighten the bolts on my mufflers. I read from many that the Rush 1.75s don't cause this problem. Wtf?
With our 1.75" baffles you should not have a lot of decel popping. Just to be clear, when I say decel popping I mean a back fire like a gun going off. If that is happening something is going on. Most obvious would be muffler clamps for an exhaust leak, air intake leaks, or a leak at the jug where the headpipe connects. Every bike is unique and sometimes a bike will require tuning with everything set properly but that is very rare. If you are concerned please give our tech guys a call and they can assist with some information on what to check and help make sure you don't have any serious issues going on. Thanks for choosing Rush!
-Ryan

Quick Reply: Decel popping on 2012 Fatboy with Rush Slip ons