Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel popping on 2012 Fatboy with Rush Slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012 | 09:33 AM
Phochief
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
decel popping can be tuned out without much effort. Anyone can do it, no dyno needed. you do need a tuner to do it. It is too lean on decel, just richen it some a little at a time
If the decel popping really starts bothering me, I'll start saving for the tuner. It's really not that bad so if the XIED doesn't help, I'll just live with it for now.

Thanks,
David

Old 02-13-2012 | 10:17 AM
Rush Racing Products
Banned

Originally Posted by Phochief
Wow. 80 pounds? Can those clamps really take that much torque? After putting 65 pounds on them I don't see any signs of an exhaust leak (smoke and a flashlight). I'm hoping the XIEDs will help. The popping is really more of a grumble with a small pop in there now and then. Adjusting my throttle and clutch eliminates it completely. First Harley so I'm also adjusting.

Thanks...David
The clamp specs have a max limit of 65 pounds, which is what we recommend. I don't think one can reach 80 pounds without snapping.
The grumble is a normal exhaust sound that is just more noticeable with aftermarket slip-ons. The pop is an actual backfire that sounds like a gun. If you are interested in the XIEDs I have read a lot of success stories. Many people with Rush have posted positive results on the forum.
-Ryan

Old 02-13-2012 | 10:41 AM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master

Originally Posted by Phochief
The popping is really more of a grumble with a small pop in there now and then. Adjusting my throttle and clutch eliminates it completely. First Harley so I'm also adjusting.

Thanks...David
LOL...you might just adjust to liking it (some of us do)
(as long as it is not excessive)

Old 02-13-2012 | 10:51 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Yes XiED's are going to work, but if you plan on additional upgrades it's best to save a little more for "tuner" vs. in-line module(s). Dobeck's TFI is ~$250 & GEN3 runs ~$300 + they have applicable discounts if you qualify (mine was $150 for Military Discount).

Old 02-14-2012 | 09:02 AM
Bop49
Advanced

My 2012 fatboy had decal popping from day one with stock cat mufflers. Installed slip on's and now very noticable especially decel in 2nd and 3rd gear. Installed Xied's and they did not help at all with decel popping. Will have to live with it until someone posts a complete fix with a tuner with good instructions for us with no tuner experience. I will only spend $300 for a tuner if I know it will cure the popping.

Old 02-14-2012 | 10:12 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rush Racing Products
The clamp specs have a max limit of 65 pounds, which is what we recommend. I don't think one can reach 80 pounds without snapping.
The grumble is a normal exhaust sound that is just more noticeable with aftermarket slip-ons. The pop is an actual backfire that sounds like a gun. If you are interested in the XIEDs I have read a lot of success stories. Many people with Rush have posted positive results on the forum.
-Ryan
Mine are at 80 per a recommendation from one of your techs. Everything seems OK and it did reduce the popping.

Old 02-14-2012 | 10:33 AM
streeteagle
Club Member

My PCV & SE ac totally eliminated my decel pop with my SE slipons. Then I got my Rush 1.75's, & remapped the PCV. I still get a little pop if I downshift at a fairly high rpm, no biggie.

Old 02-14-2012 | 03:47 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I went through this 5yrs ago. My Rush was the first set of them that the dealer put on.
I had a lot of popping and even a boom every so often.

Dealer also said its normal, but they tried to tune it out. No luck.

Then I called Rush and the tech said to shine a light around the muffler to header seal and look into the rear of the muffler, May have to take out the baffle, If U see any light around the muffler/header pipe connection, then U have air leaks. That causes popping on decell.

As the dealer installed my pipes at the 1k, they then redid the mufflers,resealed them and put on more new clamps.

Supprise, After they retuned her again, that got rid of 95% of the popping..

Now I still have some, I called it a gurgle more than anything. No pop and booms all the way down when I downshift anymore.

Old 02-15-2012 | 02:11 PM
64t-bolt
Intermediate

the power commander V has been released for 2012 103ci softails FINALLY. pn 15-021. I spoke with dynojet today and they stated that they are in dealer hands and about 350 bucks.

Old 02-15-2012 | 05:52 PM
Phochief
|
Advanced

Update:
Installed the Xieds this afternoon. Have only ridden a few miles but the popping has only been very slightly reduced. Still pops 5 or 6 times if I downshift at a high RPM. Was hoping for better results.

Although I previously checked for exhaust leaks using a flashlight and smoke around the clamps, I'll double check them again tomorrow.

:-(

Quick Reply: Decel popping on 2012 Fatboy with Rush Slip ons