Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel popping on 2012 Fatboy with Rush Slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012 | 02:32 PM
AZfatbob
Advanced

I went from 2" baffles to 1.5" baffles in my Rush slip ons and popping went way down to almost gone.

Sound though not as deep, is plenty loud enough with the 1.5" baffles. Less than $70 fix.

Side note: Mine is a 2012 fat bob with SE intake + the slip ons, + stage 1 download done by dealer.

Old 02-12-2012 | 02:42 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

OP, some popping on decel is normal and acceptable. If there are no leaks you can install a pair of XIED"s. You can also spend $1500-$2500 on all the gadgets or upgrades and improve performance and kill your mpg. My 11 Heritage is 1.75" baffled Rush slip ons, popping I have is nominal and not worth spending any $ on. You can also learn to shift different. it will help.

Old 02-12-2012 | 04:01 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Phochief
Thanks for some excellent info so far. Money's pretty tight right now so I want to make the little bit I have left, go a long way. I guess my real questions are:

1) I've only added the Rush slip ons. Do I need to add a better air filter too? I only wanted a better "Harley" sound and the Rush definitely make it sound better.

2) If I'm not planning any other mods, would a V&H Fuelpak be sufficient for handling decel popping? Only runs about $250

3) Is the Powervision PV-2 at $550 really the best method for eliminating decel popping? Or is there another reason is would be worth it to someone like me who doesn't ever plan to add additional mods?

Thanks again,
David
1) The performance gained by adding a free-flow AC is worth it. I'm running the SE Heavy Breather.

2) I run a FP and not "planning" on doing anything to my motor. I have a little popping. It actually sounds kind of cool through the big pipe I have. The map settings are chosen for you and V&H recommend tweaking the fuel shut-off RPM setting to attempt to decrease popping. I haven't tried it yet. Adding a FP is easy but the in-line connector is wide and doesn't fit too well under my stock seat.

3) If you want a tuner to work it over on a dyno, Powervision would be a good choice, even if you're not going to do anything else but you'll pay for tuner and the dyno time.

Old 02-13-2012 | 12:12 AM
Phochief
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature
Throw some XIED's on there if you ain't going any further with your mods. They'll likely solve your problem and save you some greenbacks.
I never heard of XIEDs before until you mentioned it....at first I thought you wanted me to blow it up! So, I did a search and sure enough it looks like the XIED might be a good option to try out. Definitely more in my price range, so I ordered the FL-XIED-10.

Thanks for all the good info guys!

David

Old 02-13-2012 | 04:54 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

decel popping can be tuned out without much effort. Anyone can do it, no dyno needed. you do need a tuner to do it. It is too lean on decel, just richen it some a little at a time

Old 02-13-2012 | 06:53 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Phochief
Thanks for some excellent info so far. Money's pretty tight right now so I want to make the little bit I have left, go a long way. I guess my real questions are:

1) I've only added the Rush slip ons. Do I need to add a better air filter too? I only wanted a better "Harley" sound and the Rush definitely make it sound better.

2) If I'm not planning any other mods, would a V&H Fuelpak be sufficient for handling decel popping? Only runs about $250

3) Is the Powervision PV-2 at $550 really the best method for eliminating decel popping? Or is there another reason is would be worth it to someone like me who doesn't ever plan to add additional mods?

Thanks again,
David
Have you ever listened to a drug addict or an alcoholic? That's what they sound like when they first get started, too... (no offense meant... not Jonesing for them or upgrades to your Harley are nearly impossible). Problem is, AA doesn't count Harley Upgrades as needing a 12 step program so there's no help for you, bud.

C#

Old 02-13-2012 | 07:29 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

I put the Rush slip-ons on with the 1.5 baffles when my bike only had 600 miles on her. I got some backfiring on decel as you are and a little when I shifted. I called Rush and the tech I talked to tried to blame an intake leak but I didn't buy it with only 600 miles. He then suggested I crank those clamp bolts down to 80 lbs. I did that and had a huge difference. I get just a slight pop (maybe more of a low rumble) at decel that is hardly noticeable and nothing when I shift...I kind of like it now.

Old 02-13-2012 | 07:52 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
I put the Rush slip-ons on with the 1.5 baffles when my bike only had 600 miles on her. I got some backfiring on decel as you are and a little when I shifted. I called Rush and the tech I talked to tried to blame an intake leak but I didn't buy it with only 600 miles. He then suggested I crank those clamp bolts down to 80 lbs. I did that and had a huge difference. I get just a slight pop (maybe more of a low rumble) at decel that is hardly noticeable and nothing when I shift...I kind of like it now.
+1
I have seen some other post where Ryan from rush has suggested to torque down the clamps a bit more.

Old 02-13-2012 | 09:26 AM
Phochief
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
I called Rush and the tech I talked to tried to blame an intake leak but I didn't buy it with only 600 miles. He then suggested I crank those clamp bolts down to 80 lbs.
Wow. 80 pounds? Can those clamps really take that much torque? After putting 65 pounds on them I don't see any signs of an exhaust leak (smoke and a flashlight). I'm hoping the XIEDs will help. The popping is really more of a grumble with a small pop in there now and then. Adjusting my throttle and clutch eliminates it completely. First Harley so I'm also adjusting.

Thanks...David

Old 02-13-2012 | 09:30 AM
Phochief
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Have you ever listened to a drug addict or an alcoholic? That's what they sound like when they first get started, too... (no offense meant... not Jonesing for them or upgrades to your Harley are nearly impossible). Problem is, AA doesn't count Harley Upgrades as needing a 12 step program so there's no help for you, bud.

C#
Yep, I've had that addiction for a long time with my Goldwing. I convinced my wife that another bike in the garage would cure it.

David

Quick Reply: Decel popping on 2012 Fatboy with Rush Slip ons