Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy fluids question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OWOF where did you find those statistics and what does everyone suggest? Mobil 1, amsoil or another?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely you have a main trans seal leak, same symptom on my 94 ultra, wouldn't leak on the lift, put it on the side stand, it would. Once you get the leak fixed, the 5 speeds need a good gear oil in them, I'm using Redline shockproof, and because I'm using it...it's the best oil to use.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:28 PM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"OWOF where did you find those statistics and what does everyone suggest? Mobil 1, amsoil or another?"

Awhlile back I was looking for a credible comparison when oil wars were taking place on another site. I don't believe this one to be biased although by Amsoil.

I won't recommend what anyone should use, however, I have no problem stating what I wouldn't use if it appears to be inadequate. I do use Mobil 1 syn except in my primary, and although the techs say it doesn't matter if you put syn in the primary, I don't because the primary oil is to cool the clutch.

In any case, I'm just providing some tech info that may assist riders in safeguarding their investment.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 PM
94-Sporty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so I will probably start using a better oil, since the only reason I went cheap was because I was out of work. I will also get a different color (read more expensive too) trans fluid like redline shockproof. If I do redline in the tranny and the purple stuff in the primary, I will alswys know what fluid is leaking.
Can I use the purple in the primary??

One last questions since I am here...Is a main trans seal leak serious, in other words can I ride it as long as I keep tabs on the fluid level until I am ready to pull promaru apart or is it a stop riding and fix it immediately issue. I understand the gamble here.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,109 Likes on 3,651 Posts

Originally Posted by OWOF
Viscosity Index: Castrol ranked 2nd to last out of 17 brands

Viscosity Shear Stability: Castrol ranked 3rd to last out of 17 brands

Rust Protection: Castrol ranked last out of 17 brands

High Temperature / High Shear Viscosity: Castrol ranked 4th to last out of 17 brands

Wear Protection: Castrol ranked 6th to last out of 17 brands

Oxidation Stability: Castrol ranked 6th to last out of 17 brands

Foam Control: Castrol ranked 6th to last out of 17 brands

I understand oils have to meet SAE requirements etc, but their V-twin oil is poor by comparison. Realizing the temps HD's run I' would advise against it. I'm not an expert. Castrol braggs about thermal breakdown protection and failed miserably on the viscosity test. And It didn't do well on the wear test. I ride the hell out of my bikes, and frequently change the oil. But if an oil is going to fail under certain conditions, it doesn't frequent changes may not prevent damage.

I know a lot of people swear by RP. I tried it in my Supercharged car and within a week noticed purple drips under it which became progressively worse every few days. I removed it under advice of the guy that built the superchargers and worked for GM, and after removal, it sealed back up and no more leaks. Just my experience.

Give me a break...he changes the motor oil every 3000 miles and other 2 at 6000...Put the KOOLAID cup down man....Castrol would be out of business if their products was as bad as you make it out to be....Many members here use it and have rode hundreds of thousands of miles with it...

Old 02-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 94-Sporty
OK so I will probably start using a better oil, since the only reason I went cheap was because I was out of work. I will also get a different color (read more expensive too) trans fluid like redline shockproof. If I do redline in the tranny and the purple stuff in the primary, I will alswys know what fluid is leaking.
Can I use the purple in the primary??

One last questions since I am here...Is a main trans seal leak serious, in other words can I ride it as long as I keep tabs on the fluid level until I am ready to pull promaru apart or is it a stop riding and fix it immediately issue. I understand the gamble here.
I rode with mine leaking... the Dealer said it was ok to ride as long as the fluids were at level....the bearing was pretty crappy...

Old 02-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OWOF
Viscosity Index: Castrol ranked 2nd to last out of 17 brands

Viscosity Shear Stability: Castrol ranked 3rd to last out of 17 brands

Rust Protection: Castrol ranked last out of 17 brands

High Temperature / High Shear Viscosity: Castrol ranked 4th to last out of 17 brands

Wear Protection: Castrol ranked 6th to last out of 17 brands

Oxidation Stability: Castrol ranked 6th to last out of 17 brands

Foam Control: Castrol ranked 6th to last out of 17 brands

I understand oils have to meet SAE requirements etc, but their V-twin oil is poor by comparison. Realizing the temps HD's run I' would advise against it. I'm not an expert. Castrol braggs about thermal breakdown protection and failed miserably on the viscosity test. And It didn't do well on the wear test. I ride the hell out of my bikes, and frequently change the oil. But if an oil is going to fail under certain conditions, it doesn't frequent changes may not prevent damage.

I know a lot of people swear by RP. I tried it in my Supercharged car and within a week noticed purple drips under it which became progressively worse every few days. I removed it under advice of the guy that built the superchargers and worked for GM, and after removal, it sealed back up and no more leaks. Just my experience.
The tests they put these oils to are the most extreme tests and would never get to these extremes in our bikes...especially since he changes his oil every 3000 miles...
Oil choice is very personal and everyone will have an opinion that may or may not be right...Yes including me...
By the way i don't use Castrol....

I don't think i have heard of a failure on a motorcycle here because of using whatever oil brands used...The biggest factor here is changing it within manufacturer specs. and i think you will agree he is well within that..

A friend of mine has a 2004 Honda Goldwing and has 235000 miles on it...he has been using Castrol GTX Dino oil in it since the first oil change...he goes as far as 10000 miles between changes...

Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
tims28
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, There is red primary fluid you can use, I live in Australia and my local motorcycle parts store has it. Someone mentioned above 'redline', I think there red as well. I'd be cleaning the bike up really good (especially behind the primary), then change your primary oil (like you said a different color to your engine and transmission oil) and then determine what oil is leaking. Keep in mind usually the leaking oil will change color before it hits the ground as a leak, (due to road grime/grit/bike dirt etc.) but you should still be able to determine what oil it is. If you detemined that it's primary oil and pull the inner primary off, make sure you buy a good oil seal and make double sure to seal all the bolt heads with a sealent. I'm just going through a nightmare with an 1985 fxst that just refuses to stop leaking from the primary seal (I know it's the primary because the fluid is red), I have done over 10 primarys of these bikes in the past year and I have not had a problem (different bikes that I sell) but this one is become a real pain. I'm almost at a point of buying a new inner primary. we'll see.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Ur oil isn't causing the leak, it something else.

If Ur using regular car oil in the pri, I wouldn't recommend that, because it has friction enhancers thats not really good on the clutch plates.

Use whateven U want in the motor but most use some kind of motorcycle V-twin in the primary and I personally like a 75-90 weight GL in the tranny. I just happen to like Mobil 1 V-twin stuff, but use what U want.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As i said, I wont reccmmend an oil, but I'm protecting my investment based on results

Last edited by outgood; 02-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Fatboy fluids question