Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's got BSL's (Big Shot Longs)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Slickster63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who's got BSL's (Big Shot Longs)?

After looking at everything I could get my hands on, searching through the posts here, and giving it lots of thought, I decided to get V&H BSL's. I've done the back and forth thing between true dual fishtails, 2 into 1's, and the bsl's.

Last summer I got my first HD, a 2004 Heritage Classic EFI. It came with the SE air intake and some kind of cycle shack slip on's. It sounds pretty weak. I'm looking to get the BSL's and eventually some cams. BSL's have that classic look, sound, and fit the Heritage nice.

Time to do it. Now the hard part ... baffles. I'm at a loss. I've heard these pipes on bikes but never knew what baffles they were using. Videos on you tube are tough to compare.

I always wanted a Harley ... the look, the sound, all of it. Took me too long to finally get one. I've had a long list of metrics and a couple triumphs. Now I have what I wanted all along. I want that classic sound. My whole life I've heard them coming down the street ... I knew it was a Harley ... I was always jealous. I want that to finally be my bike. The one they hear coming and turn to see what it is. Hell yeah ... that's my bike! Deep, strong, bold ... yeah, that rumble.

I don't want to rattle windows. I don't want to go deaf on a long ride. I don't want to **** everyone off. But a little ringing in the ears and some rolled up windows with the cagers ... fine with me. If I'm on the gas you can hear me a block away ... but not 4 blocks! Sitting at idle it should sound tough ... not too quiet. I know what straight non-baffled stuff sounds like ... too much for me.

SO ....

standard baffles?
quiet baffles?
big city thunder baffles?

damn ... if I could hear all 3 at idle, then a quick run around the block. I could decide in a heartbeat. what do you think?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Rogator
Cruiser

Hi Slick. I have a 2011 Heritage. I had V&H straight shots put on when new. Liked the sound but was not that deep throaty sound I wanted. After 2000 miles I put in quiet baffles. This changed it a bit but still not what I wanted.
Next I went to Big Shots Long. I loved the sound but still not the rumble I wanted . Then I read lots of riders preferred the sound of the BSL's with the quiet baffles. Luckily they are the same ones the straight shots used.
I installed them and what a great sound. A little quieter and quite a bit deeper. I love them.
Tim.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Steve Leonard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the BSLs on a 12 Heritage with the standard baffles. I keep telling myself I'm gonna by the hard kore baffles one day but the std baffles aren't terrible. I stayed clear of the quiet baffles qs (according to post on here) do not quiet the bike down much if any.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

The Q baffles are not that much quieter. maybe 2 at most 3 Db's. And U'll have to rewrap them every yr or two, whereas the standards U don't. The standards will do a fine job of all around sound, but U can hear them 4 blocks away as most aftermarket pipes will do.

The nature of the long pipes will cause U to lose a little TQ under 3k rpm but it ain't to bad.

Son had a set of BR's2-2 and BSL's on two different bike, and the BR's made better low end.

Sometimes we have to give up a little just to have what we want.!!.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

just put them on my bike this weekend love em.running standared baffles they sound good to me

Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just changed to BSS and went with quiet baffles. I had the standard baffles with my old pipes and the are loud as hell. With the quiet baffle they are a little deeper, give back pressure and are quieter when off the throttle. You can hear them plenty just not over bearing. To me they are the best off both worlds. Loud when you want and quiet when they need to be

Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Rogator
Cruiser

quieter when off the throttle.

+1 on that. Makes the neighbors happier and still great sound when you get on the throttle.
I like to leave for rides at 5 or 6 in the morning and don't need to **** anyone off.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Slickster63
Tourer

I may start with the standards ... I could always switch.

I've never had a loud bike ... might as well give it a try!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogator
Hi Slick. I have a 2011 Heritage. I had V&H straight shots put on when new. Liked the sound but was not that deep throaty sound I wanted. After 2000 miles I put in quiet baffles. This changed it a bit but still not what I wanted.
Next I went to Big Shots Long. I loved the sound but still not the rumble I wanted . Then I read lots of riders preferred the sound of the BSL's with the quiet baffles. Luckily they are the same ones the straight shots used.
I installed them and what a great sound. A little quieter and quite a bit deeper. I love them.
Tim.
I rode with the stock baffles for a year, then went to the quiet baffles and never looked back. Much deeper sound and people don't mind riding behind you. Just don't forget that on the tight corners you might scrape the bottom pipe. I've actually lost a end cap from it...

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Rogator
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Slickster63
I may start with the standards ... I could always switch.

I've never had a loud bike ... might as well give it a try!
If you've never had loud pipes get someone ready with a camera to catch the look on your face for the first start up.

Quick Reply: Who's got BSL's (Big Shot Longs)?