Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longest winter ever!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012 | 12:25 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Longest winter ever!!!

I bought this bike the end of October and I started making it "mine" the very next day I had it. I have had bikes for nearly 40 years so I didn't think it would be a big thing getting it, mod'ing it and then waiting out winter to ride. BOY was I wrong! I feel like a darn kid who got a nice shiny bike for Christmas but had to wait till spring to ride it. I feel like "that" kid again all over. This has been the longest winter I can ever remember. I have snuck it out a few times but I want to wait till I can take off and not have to come back because I am cold. I don't want to "spoil" that 1st ride. I want to go and not come back till I want to. I have put a total of 31 miles on this thing since I have had it and those miles were just to ride it to make sure my mod's worked that I have been adding. I am not an envious person but you guys in the warmer climates just might know how nice you guys have it!! You may have a slight clue as to what you have but not the full affect of having to deal with the winter months. Take a nice long ride for all of us guys who can't!

Old 02-06-2012 | 12:37 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Longest winter ever? Haha.. It was 70* here in Jersey last week..it's finally starting to get relatively chilly out now.. and we're all bitching that Mother Nature won't get off her rag and make up her mind on what she wants to do

Old 02-06-2012 | 12:39 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

I was feeling so stir crazy that I rode to work this morning. 36 degrees was too cold. I hope it's warmer tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2012 | 12:44 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I was born and raised in Ill. I don't miss winter there one bit.

Old 02-06-2012 | 12:54 PM
bulldog82098
Tourer

Try a pair of these:

http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing...rall-TV245.jsp

and a pair of these:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=45&zmap=28090

I can ride in weather 32 degree's and above and if I wear a sweatshirt or insulated t shirt I am literally sweating!
One other thing, I wear a full face helmet which makes quite a difference.

Old 02-06-2012 | 01:03 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I do have to say and admit that this has been a winter like no other winter I have ever seen. I can't recall anything like it, ever! STILL, I am waiting for that perfect day, a day I can hop on it and not look back or come back until I have to or until I want to. I don't want my 1st experiance on this bike dictated by the weather around me. I have every intention of stuffing my pocket with some cash, get on this bike and go and just enjoy it. I have waited 8 years for this bike and that ride, I can wait just a tad longer. I go out and check on my girl every single day. I have her in a nice clean and toasty corner in my garage. I have built a like iglo in the corner or my garage with my girl in the corner with a nice radiant heater in that iglo with her. I keep her at a toasty 70 degree's and on a tender. I am for the most part done with her, I just can't decide on beach bars or apes. I need what will be best for my shoulder and back but not ever having apes I don't know what the best of the 2 are so I am going to be replying on input here for that ultimate choice when the time comes. Enjoy guys cause when spring breaks so will I and my girl!!

Old 02-06-2012 | 01:59 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I bought this bike the end of October and I started making it "mine" the very next day I had it. I have had bikes for nearly 40 years so I didn't think it would be a big thing getting it, mod'ing it and then waiting out winter to ride. BOY was I wrong! I feel like a darn kid who got a nice shiny bike for Christmas but had to wait till spring to ride it. I feel like "that" kid again all over. This has been the longest winter I can ever remember. I have snuck it out a few times but I want to wait till I can take off and not have to come back because I am cold. I don't want to "spoil" that 1st ride. I want to go and not come back till I want to. I have put a total of 31 miles on this thing since I have had it and those miles were just to ride it to make sure my mod's worked that I have been adding. I am not an envious person but you guys in the warmer climates just might know how nice you guys have it!! You may have a slight clue as to what you have but not the full affect of having to deal with the winter months. Take a nice long ride for all of us guys who can't!
Man, I hear you. Even though the weather has been mild, I haven't had one ride in the last four months (and I get out every chance I get) where I didn't come back with my teeth chattering. Not exactly quality time, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited by Benway; 02-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2012 | 02:08 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Take a nice long ride for all of us guys who can't!
Done and DONE!!!
Yesterday was one of those perfect days. Got some stuff done in the morning, then took a ryde thru the Santa Monica Mtns. Met a couple of my boys at the Rock Store, tore up some more canyon turns, then hit Neptunes where it was bright and sunny. It was sweatshirt weather. About 70. Then headed home to watch my Giants in a great game. Although I could have done without the halftyme show. I guess it was almost perfect.
I woulda took pix but didn't want to **** off anybody with more of my "weather bragging" pix. I can't wait to see your ryde on the rode and hear about your experiences, brotha!! Here's to a quick arrival of spring. Cheers!!

Old 02-06-2012 | 02:22 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Livin' here ain't all it's cracked up to be. Sure, it's been 80 degrees every day--almost 80 right now as we speak. Florida is a very motorcycle friendly state, but I can tell you this--that & the weather are the ONLY good things about living here--and the 1970s wages!

Your Deluxe is beautiful--my favorite Harley. Enjoy life with it!

Old 02-06-2012 | 03:08 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Where did you live the last 5 years? Wouldn't even call this a winter, maybe extra long fall. Have used the bike more than the snow blower this year. Last year we had over 3 foot of snow at this time.

Quick Reply: Longest winter ever!!!