Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Samson Cholo Install - Torque Down - DIY Baffle w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 AM
dboutfitters
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AirBoyzT,

Yes I put one eye bolt in each pipe. Re: the "press fit," you could probably seat the nut inside the eye bolt with a hammer. I pressed mine in with a vise, but it went in easily enough that I imagine a square impact with a hammer would work too.

The install isn't hard, there are just a few more parts with the fishtails. Once you dive in it will all make sense and come together for you. Let me know if you run into any problems.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I SO wanted to put those on my bike when I got it but now it just seems like I would be an EXTREME copycat if I did! I bought this bike and was going to do the cholo thing with the apes and all but gee, now, everyone has them. The ONLY thing that will save me if I do do that to my scooter is that no one around me has them. I have not seen 1 single bike set up that way around me here, that is about the only way I can get away with it. I do like how my bike performs with this 2 into 1 python though. It runs and sounds pretty sweet the way it's set up now. Youz guyz scooters do look sweet though, nice bikes guys!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I SO wanted to put those on my bike when I got it but now it just seems like I would be an EXTREME copycat if I did! I bought this bike and was going to do the cholo thing with the apes and all but gee, now, everyone has them. The ONLY thing that will save me if I do do that to my scooter is that no one around me has them. I have not seen 1 single bike set up that way around me here, that is about the only way I can get away with it. I do like how my bike performs with this 2 into 1 python though. It runs and sounds pretty sweet the way it's set up now. Youz guyz scooters do look sweet though, nice bikes guys!
Eh I don't care if it looks like someone else's, I just love the look of apes and fishtails...I may get someone to help me with this though

Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM
AirBoyzT
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess now I can't decide between the 33" and 36"

Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
If it's what YOU want, do it! There's only so much a brother can do when it comes to customizing your sled with bolt ons. And I think the key point you've made, just as in my case, just think, you'll have the only one in your area! Who cares how many are on here? LOL

Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 AM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dboutfitters

*The cholo kit from Samson DOES NOT INCLUDE the flanges are retaining clips for the head pipes so you'll either need to pick a set up or take them off your existing exhaust and reuse.
No, they sell the chrome exhaust flange and retainer clip as a kit for about $20 something. The vendor I purchased mine through, threw in a set with my purchase.

You may have already mentioned, but where is that you are mounting the eye bolt? I'm starting my install tomorrow night and I'm curious about this. Not sure I want to yet, but I'm considering drilling holes in my new $800 exhaust. LOL

Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
dboutfitters
6th Gear

NC D'LUXE,

Crude pics attached, but it's the best I can do right now from the office. Basically, I drilled the hole on the inboard side of each tail pipe with the angle somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 deg from the center bore of the pipe; if you were looking at the back of the bike the angle I drilled the hole at would create a straight line between the pipe and the bottom frame rail. I put the hole here so it would not be visible from any angle except if you were laying on the ground and looking up under the pipes.

As far as location relative to the length of the pipes, I drilled the hole 3" from the line where the head pipe heat shield and fishtail extension meet. I chose this location because (1) I wanted to leave the head pipes alone, (2) there is really no way to get the lollipop in from the back of the fishtail tip, (3) this is roughly where a set of drag pipes would end and (4) I could take the extension off easily to change / tune the baffle. You'll need a set of needle nose pliers or some equivalent to hold the eye bolt from spinning as you tighten the nut on the outside.

If you pull the trigger on this make sure you use a nail set or punch to locate the drill spot; otherwise the chrome is so slick you’ll likely spin the drill bit off and you could scratch the pipes.

I’ll pull the tip off when I get home and take a better pic. Hope this helps.

-Daniel

Attached Thumbnails Samson Cholo Install - Torque Down - DIY Baffle w/ pics-hd14.jpg   Samson Cholo Install - Torque Down - DIY Baffle w/ pics-hd13.jpg   Samson Cholo Install - Torque Down - DIY Baffle w/ pics-hd12.jpg  

Last edited by dboutfitters; 02-06-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AirBoyzT
I guess now I can't decide between the 33" and 36"
Then go 39"! LOL it was one of the more difficult decisions with my build because until you see them in person you just don't know. All te research I done, everyone regretted buying the shorter ones and most ended up going longer before they were happy. So I dove in and went 39". lol I'll find out this week I guess if my decision was the right one for me.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior

Daniel thanks for going to all the trouble. I'm on the road right now too but will check in this evening when I get home. Thanks again!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 PM
dboutfitters
6th Gear

NC D'LUXE,

I snapped a few more pics of the bolt hole location. Hope these help.

-Daniel

Attached Thumbnails Samson Cholo Install - Torque Down - DIY Baffle w/ pics-hd15.jpg   Samson Cholo Install - Torque Down - DIY Baffle w/ pics-hd16.jpg   Samson Cholo Install - Torque Down - DIY Baffle w/ pics-hd17.jpg  

Quick Reply: Samson Cholo Install - Torque Down - DIY Baffle w/ pics