Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs Road King (for touring)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:04 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I don't think you can lose either way as long as your on a Harley. I had a Heritage before this Deluxe and I could not imagine going back to the Heritage after being on this bike. I can't help you pick but I can wish you all the luck in the world, just be safe and watch out for the other guy who has no idea about motorcycles out on the road. I wish I could go with!!!
Don't understand why as it's basically the same bike, although the Deluxe is a little better looking.

I have an '04 Fatboy (same as heritage) & an '07 King. Here is the difference you're gonna find: It ain't so much the seat or the bars, or even the suspension, but the area that I think might wear on you (at least it does with me) is the lack of the 6th gear in your Heritage. At 70, your counterbalanced 5 speed is gonna be buzzing & vibrating like a jackhammer, whereas in 6th gear the RoadKing is gonna be purring along like a Cadillac. Whenever I do any interstate long distance, it's the King for me. Just a lot more pleasant at speed. Not saying you can't do it, but I don't think I would want to ride a balanced 5 speed cross country.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

My RK is great, but had to get better handlebars and seat. My friend has 180,000+ miles on his Heritage and is on his second engine and says he will never get rid of it. I don't know anyone who puts more miles per year on a bike than him. Seems like a matter of preference and whether you are going two up or not.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:00 PM
PastorToddAK
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Struggled with the same decision... road a friends RK last summer and didn't like the feel of sitting on it. Like how the Softail sits much better and ended up getting an 04 Heritage

Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Jim2012FLHRC
Intermediate

I also like the softails better traded my RKC in on a 2013 Heritage, to me it rides better than the king and I can flat foot at stoplights again.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

cruise control... cruise control... cruise control... gotta have it IMHO.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotared
cruise control... cruise control... cruise control... gotta have it IMHO.
$1,100 and you can have it on the Heritage...or add a cramp buster for $11.00.

I own both a Heritage and a Road King, have spent FAR more than the $1,100 on the Raod King, like almost 3 times that amount with bars and seats in all kinds of combinations, STILL not as comfortable as the Heritage to ride, and we can pack just as much in our T-bag and the Heritage saddle bags as we can on the Road King with a tour pack. Even rented a 2010 Road King for a week just to see if there was any difference, changed out the seat twice, and STILL not as comfortable as the Heritage....

So, for my money, I'll stick with the Heritage. 1800 miles in 8 days, piece of cake. 2000 miles in 5 days, same thing, 3500 miles in 10 days, just as comfortable...and 750-1000 mile weekends REGULARLY, all of it two up and baggage.

We are adding a trailer behind the Heritage for the trips planned for next year so momma can have what she wants on the trips, but would be doing that regardless of which one we were going to ride.

There is a reason that the Heritage is considered the most versital bike Harley makes, and it excells at ALL of them.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 PM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure I'll be in the minority here but I like the Heritage. I feel more "in sync" with the bike because it feels like I'm sitting in it rather than on it.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had both, and I can tell you, I hated the Road King, it was like riding a couch with casters under it. Yea, it's got alot of storage, but I love my Heritage so much more, it handles like a dream and it a hell of alot faster too. I've take several 500+ mile trips on it and I never got uncomfortable.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 AM
casbar
Cruiser

I've done several 1500 mile trips over 4 days, very comfortable on the Heritage. Swapped the passenger seat out for the touring one. Used one 1300 mile trip as a decision trip to see if my other half would be comfortable or should we swap to a Road King. The wife was really happy and had no issues. I rode a Road King on a Riders Edge course, had the bike for two days. Liked it, but it did feel heavier. Ever since having the Heritage, I've been thinking I should change for a tourer, mostly I guess from reading others comments. I've now decided the Heritage is as comfortable and capable as a Road King. Now new rear shocks - Shotguns possibly, hope this isn't hype

Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by casbar

...Now new rear shocks - Shotguns possibly, hope this isn't hype
It's not. Best mod I ever did. Wife has a back problem, she agrees.

Quick Reply: Heritage vs Road King (for touring)